When my flash arrives...

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what should I do? I have read much about voltages and what-not and burnt out cameras and/or flashes. One thing I read somewhere (can't remember where) even recommended putting some electrical tape over the hot shoe mount (I think)... it's all confusing for a first time off camera flash guy, and I'm not that smart to begin with :confused:

So, experienced users, what should I watch out for before trying my flash for the first time?

(bought vivitar 285, cactus v2s trigger, adorama light stand, adorama swivel mount and umbrella)

You've already been told... just read and study and practice lighting 101 all on the strobist site.

If you have the flash and triggers coming... you basically should pitch a tent in the middle of the road there and READ, READ, READ, practice, READ, READ, practice, do the exercises and READ some more.

Then do some more reading and practicing. ;)

Gotcha, but I mean as far as not blowing up my camera or flash unit ;) Should I tape the hotshoe or anything special than you guys know about?

Why would you blow up your flash/camera? Is this a current generation 285? The early 285's (I believe) and the 283's used a higher trigger voltage and you should use a Wein Safe Sync (Wein | Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS) | W990560 | B&H ) with them, but I am pretty sure the later breed of 285's is safe.

ok thanks. I don't know why it would, but while doing all the reading I have lately, I've read enough about "make sure you check the voltage!" and "metal on metal hotshoes!" type stuff to make me a bit worried. Glad that I can just use it out of the box :)

ok thanks. I don't know why it would, but while doing all the reading I have lately, I've read enough about "make sure you check the voltage!" and "metal on metal hotshoes!" type stuff to make me a bit worried. Glad that I can just use it out of the box :)

It is true that older flashes are something to worry about with new digital cameras, but I don't believe you should worry about new ones. I use a 1970's 283 (in my DIY ring-light) with my Canon 30D and protect my camera with a Wein unit.

He is using off camera flash... that makes no sense. Place trigger into hot shoe of camera, place flash in hotshoe of receiver or connect via adapter cable included. The flash never touches the camera... which BTW, as mentioned the 285 is digital camera safe.

Is it okay for me to ask a question? I don't want to jack this thread.

I have a Vivitar 283, however, I have a sync cord with it, and if I used it for off camera flash w/the sync cord, would I still need to worry about the high trigger voltage?
Thanks

I have a Vivitar 283, however, I have a sync cord with it, and if I used it for off camera flash w/the sync cord, would I still need to worry about the high trigger voltage?
Thanks
Then why did you? :lmao:

I don't have an answer, but i don't mind that he asked it. It goes along with the theme of the thread.

Thanks

I put my Wein adapter between the hot shoe extension cord for my 283 and the hotshoe on my 30D. I just assumed I need to do that.

Thanks

Question has been asked and the answer is that there is no danger. The 285 is digital camera safe.

Thanks

Question has been asked and the answer is that there is no danger. The 285 is digital camera safe.

He asked about the 283 and I do not believe that it is digital safe.

This sync voltage problem was solved a long time ago, it was only the first digital cameras that were getting fried. The D70 and all modern digital cameras can handle up to 250V (check your user manual).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back