When setting custom WB

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you have to change custom WB everytime you change exposure or apature and shutter speed? Kindda confused bout it

I'm gonna take a stab at this. I would surely think not since you set the custom white balance for a certain type of light. You simply need to get a correct exposure when shooting your shot for the custom white balance for the light that you will be shooting in. As long as you stay in the light that you have compensated for it seems that the custom white balance will work just fine.

See that's exactly what I thought but got confused after talking to someone and didn't wanna give the wrong info. Set the WB once under the light once unles moving to another light source.

"say you are in a park and move from under shade to partial sun" Does that matter? I guess the light source changes then right? Then you'd WB w/ fill flash if using one.

what a great question! I've been thinking about this as well! :sexywink:

Depends on if you were shooting into the shade or just in the shade shooting into the sunny area...the white will look differently in shade than in the sun...so short answer...better safe than sorry...just do a custom balance when you move anywhere to a different light value...

Depends on if you were shooting into the shade or just in the shade shooting into the sunny area...the white will look differently in shade than in the sun...so short answer...better safe than sorry...just do a custom balance when you move anywhere to a different light value...

LOL You notice the "" :p

Makes sense! Thanks bro

How about AWB :) Fixing a batch of WB is so easy I dont understand why you even want to consider a custom WB. The only time I would even consider it if I do studio works.

How about AWB :) Fixing a batch of WB is so easy I dont understand why you even want to consider a custom WB. The only time I would even consider it if I do studio works.

Who asked you anyway?? :peacesign:

No seriously, I was talkin to my homie CB and we wanted to know. Well you'd want Custom WB during snow. Not that it'll ever snow in FL :mrgreen:

Buy a light meter and meter for whatever light your subject is in at the time. Set your kelvin to that value and you're golden. Of course this isn't always practical, so the presets aren't too bad an estimate (sunny/shade/cloudy/etc) if you're on the run.

"say you are in a park and move from under shade to partial sun" Does that matter? I guess the light source changes then right? Then you'd WB w/ fill flash if using one.

It is not where the camera is located, the reflected light from your subject is what you need to be concerned with - the light meter of your camera works off the reflected light of where you point the camera.

Just make sure you shoot with in Raw files so you can adjust the WB if it wasnt right, Dont wanna lose any good pictures because the color is off, Its saved me a couple times!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back