When the bag fills up, Where do you keep all your gear?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the fact that my gear seems to be growing exponentially, and after reading the "how many bags" thread, I'm trying to figure out where to store everything. Do you reconfigure your main bag before each shoot, or do you have a few kits and just grab the right one.
Right now my main "bag" is a pelican 1510, I like to keep 2 bodies, 3 zooms, then a couple fast primes, and a couple flashes. That pretty much packs the case full, and covers the majority of my needs. I also have another smaller case for several flashes, triggers, and accessories. But what about my recently started collection of M42 lenses, Macro bellows, Eos Film body, TLR, etc. Curiously, for being a kind of messy person, I really like to have all of my gear organized.

Now I know that some people here have dozens of cameras and lenses, where do you keep all the stuff you don't use that often, and where do you put it when you need to take it somewhere. I was considering some plastic storage containers with some foam and dividers, but I'd like you get some ideas from you guys.

I keep most of my "ready use" gear in two main bags, with the less use stuff in a couple of cupboards in my spare room.

Atache cases. I have two of them to hold my gear and will get a third soon. My bag itself stays empty and I find that I have never needed all my gear at the one shoot.

its going to vary from person to person and on what you have and what you need as well as how you get from where you are to where your shooting.

Some people will have a lot of gear and a lot of scope so will most likley repack a main bag each time they head out for different things -- or they will have several bags for several different events - with a few items that cross over being moved around.

Some people will have a single core bag of gear to which a few things will be added or removed depending on what they shoot

People going by car often might keep the whole lot in the boot - ready to getin and go - whilst those going by train/taxi will have to pick and choose the most important - those going by legs will have to be even more strict on what is and what is not taken.

In the end it might be best to have a cupboard, shelf, draw etc.. intowhich you can put all your gear when you are home - then just pack your bag up each time you head out - maybe even keep a little checklist of smaller things (filters, cords, diffusers, etc...) which are easily forgotten about as one packs.

i don't keep anything in a bag. i empty my bag when i get home, take out all batteries and cards and put all my gear on trophy shelving i put up. i hang my bags in the closet.

When my bag fills up, i buy a bigger bag! lol

My current bag holds:
Nikon D90 with Grip
Battery Charger
85mm f/1.8
17-50 f/2.8
50mm f/1.8
18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 <-Crap lens I know, I'm replacing soon
SB800 Speedlight
2 x SB25 Speedlights
Spare batteries
Another Battery Charger
Light Stand
60" Convertible Umbrella
Cybersync Transmitter
2 x Cybersync receivers with cords
Cleaning Kit
Remote Shutter

Think thats about it :)

My limit on what I carry isn't my bag, it's my back. My daypack, which is what I use, would carry more than I would want to carry. At home, my lenses sit in a well ventilated drawer. My tripods sit in the corner.

It's really getting to be a problem, isn't it!?!
I have 2 bags, one I keep with ready to go gear, the other has all the rest.
Today, I am expecting my new macro in the mail and when it arrives I officially will not be able to carry all lens and camera in one bag at a time.

i believe it;s JerryPH that employs a full size hockey bag to hold some gear.
as an ex-hockey player i find that to be awesome, but can't imagine trying to lug around a hockey bag full of steel, titanium, and glass.
(though i think he only uses it for storage)

are you talking for storage? or to have with you on shoots?

i like garbs idea of the attache cases (you're talking big flight case type right garbs?)...the foam in those can be totally customized to hold your gear which is pretty sweet.

Curiously, for being a kind of messy person, I really like to have all of my gear organized.

you have permission to use the word "Ironically" in place of Curiously
as curiously means you want to find something out

so you find out something for being a messy person you like to be organised?

nope, its Ironically this time :)

sorry, im the "correct use of words" patrol :p:p
just ignore me ha :)

Curiously, for being a kind of messy person, I really like to have all of my gear organized.

perhaps im wrong here, but methinks you are underqualified for your position on the "correct use of words" patrol.

curiously synonym | Thesaurus.com

seems to work for me.
"ironically" would have been fine as well.:hug::
care to offer any advice about the topic at hand?

If I ever completely fill up this bag my wife will kill me.

Tamrac - Model 614 Super Pro 14

Actually, I have outgrown it in terms of bodies I can carry. I have several bags that I work with. Everything except my 3rd body stays in the 614 Pro and I pull out what I need. If I am working from the truck I just toss the 614 it and work from it.

Where did you get your English degree? A Cracker Jack box? :lol:

Scattered all over my office! :lol:

Seriously, I think I have 3 lenses within my reach right now. :)

That being said I got a bigger bag (just a hair smaller than gryphons... same model) and it fits ALL my stuff... so when I'm BEHAVING myself, I keep it all in there.

Though there are a few extra lenses I don't use anymore that I keep in the closet on a shelf.

maybe even keep a little checklist of smaller things (filters, cords, diffusers, etc...) which are easily forgotten about as one packs.

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. I could have a different checklist or even a different accessory kit for different situations. eg. A flash photography kit with triggers/relievers, cables, flash mounts, gels, gaff tape, etc, An outdoor kit might have a polarizer, ND filters, etc. Macro would have a bellows, tripod, flash kit, etc...

I also that limiting myself to a smaller kit will, not only reduce the amount of crap I am hauling around, but also help me better anticipate and plan my shooting, and increase my creativity by learning how to better utilize particular equipment rather than just turning to another piece of gear anytime I hit a roadblock.

Thanks guys, I'd love to hear any other Ideas about long term storage, I'm still leaning towards some rubber-maid containers and foam, for the time being, and customizing each bag or case before each day or particular project.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back