When to bounce

ira9700

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any sugestions just got a bower SFD35N confused as to when i should bounce

Any sugestions just got a bower SFD35N confused as to when i should bounce
Always. Direct flash is never good unless it's stopped way down and it's a fill and/or it's used as a trigger for a remote flashgun. Always light the subject from a source that's away from the lens.

I am very drunk, so don't judge these comments harshly enough. to much.

Any time you turn on the flash! Now I am not suggesting that you use the flash all the time, but I am suggesting that you bounce EVERYTIME you use the flash... as long as you can. For example, you cannot bounce outside at night. To resolve that issue, get yourself a reflector or bounce card.

I suggest looking at www.abetterbouncecard.com and making our own.

The SB-800 that I use has one built-in. It gets used EVERY time I turn that flash on... if it is on the camera. I strongly prefer off-camera flash, though.

I won't say 'bounce all the time'.

Bounce the light when you want softer lighting and when you have a surface that will provide a good bounce surface.

I certainly use bounce most of the time. Or a tilted head and diffuser. Ideally - it's BOTH.

But bounce will only be optimal if you have a relatively low white ceiling or are bouncing off a white wall. Just remember - the light bounced off any surface will transmit the color of that surface to your subject.

Also, trying to use bounce when the ceiling or wall is too far away to be useful, doesn't do much for you. Just remember - the light from your flash has to travel all the way to the surface you're bouncing off of, then all the way back to the subject.

And, oh yeah- the surface also absorbs some of that light too.

That's why I'm never without the diffuser.

If the color effect is minimal you can usually adjust for it in PS (assuming you know how to do it correctly). And I would certainly choose to do this and get the advantages of bounced light rather than use direct flash or no flash.

So yeah, bounce is usually good. But be aware of the potential problems it may cause.

Most reactions

Back