When to shoot group shots at a wedding?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have always been told bride and groom are NOT to see each other on the day of the wedding until she walks down the isle during the ceremony.

That to do so is bad luck, now I am not superstitious at all, however, this is just something I believe, groom should not see bride all prettied up in her gown/hair did/make up, until that second when the church doors open and she walks in....

That being said, I'm just the photographer. I guess I do what I'm told when it comes to shooting, however, the wedding I am shooting tomorrow, the bride wants group shots BEFORE the ceremony, so right after they can leave and go to the reception.

I agreed, but just mentioned that usually it takes a good while for guest to get there and while we will have a timeline to follow group shots can be done after the ceremony with no problem of you getting to your reception on time.

But she still wants them before.

For those that have shot weddings, what is the normal time line?

They are the clients, so they decide. Normally the staged shots are after the ceremony. But sometimes due to time constraints (no sun light) people may decide to do it prior the ceremony. One of my weddings in March will be held on a Friday night (cant do it at earlier time because it is a work day). If we do it after the ceremony, it is going to be dark. Although she really doesnt want him to see her before the ceremony, she is seriously thinking about doing some before the wedding. Let them decide. If you dont have this constraint, I say do it after the ceremony. I will be doing a lot of outdoor and indoor off camera flash if it is after the ceremony.

If the customer wants that then who are you to argue? There are all kinds of variations that people do to the traditional wedding so the best thing to do is go with the flow and do what the Bride wants you to do. There's no right or wrong way, everyone does things slightly differently even in traditional style weddings. The mistake is to think that you should tell the bride & groom how to structure their day. It is not your day, your just the hired help, so whatever they want to do, you do that.

Yes that is totally normal. Some want befor some want after some want the couple shots even days later.

Oh yes... or days later. This is why sometimes it is good for the groom to purchase the tux or suit. It is good anyway for a guy to own a tux. If he rents it, forget it. Most wont rent it again.

oh ok, I just didn't know if that was normal...
I did not suggest or say anything, I just felt she thought she would be late to her own reception if we did group shot after the ceremony, which I told her it would only take about 30 minutes...
I would never tell anyone what to do, in terms of their own wedding.

Yes, I've done before and after, but the usual order is to do the group/family shots after the wedding.

There are a few pros and cons to either way. For example, if you are doing them before the ceremony, you probably have a higher change of missing family members. Maybe everyone is there except Aunt Sally, but you need her for the group shot. When shooting after the wedding, usually everyone who needs to be in the photos, is attending the wedding, so even if they were late, they should be there by the time the ceremony is over.
But the flip side of that, is that right after the ceremony, the guests & family usually start to mingle and you could be in the same situation with the missing Aunt Sally. Also, when you do the photos after, if you don't do them in a different location, you will likely have 50 cameras going off when you're trying to take the photos. By doing the photos before, you probably won't have to deal with that as much.

For all the weddings I've done, with group photos before the ceremony, we still stage a 'reveal' where we get to capture the moment that they first see each other all dressed up. (unless they are getting ready in the same room etc.) On trick that I've used, is to have the B&G on either side of an open door, and then I stand to the side...I can see them both, but they can't see each other yet.

I have always been told bride and groom are NOT to see each other on the day of the wedding until she walks down the isle during the ceremony.

That to do so is bad luck, now I am not superstitious at all, however, this is just something I believe, groom should not see bride all prettied up in her gown/hair did/make up, until that second when the church doors open and she walks in....

That being said, I'm just the photographer. I guess I do what I'm told when it comes to shooting, however, the wedding I am shooting tomorrow, the bride wants group shots BEFORE the ceremony, so right after they can leave and go to the reception.

I agreed, but just mentioned that usually it takes a good while for guest to get there and while we will have a timeline to follow group shots can be done after the ceremony with no problem of you getting to your reception on time.

But she still wants them before.

For those that have shot weddings, what is the normal time line?

"For those that have shot weddings, what is the normal...? "

There is NONE! Every person there has one thing on their mind. THEM and for some maybe the wedding. While shooting one wedding the bride was walking down the isle. All eyes are on the bride except one guy standing facing the rear with a big video camera filming his grandson in the back row. = maybe the wedding - HELLO!

YOU are the only one that WILL/BETTER have nothing but photography on your mind.

You have some basic instructions and you must REACT and RESPOND as the day unfolds.

YOU MUST BRING YOUR "A GAME", YOU MUST BE ON A ROLL. There is no room for the wait while I set my (manual?) settings stuff. Use auto, A or S. Forget all that forum must shoot manual rubbish, the wedding will be over. There are no redos. (there are but rare)

You and YOU and YOU must take command of the time slots that the day allows for you. I don't mean so much command people as I mean seize the chances to get what you need to get.

Last edited:
The notion that it's bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the wedding, comes from arranged marriages.

It was better with an arranged marriage that the B&G not see each other in case one or the other decided, No Way Jose, particularly where the bride wasn't made aware of who the groom would be before the wedding. :confused:

Most B&G's having the history explained to them then have no problems having some images made before the ceremony begins.

True.. but most grooms have never seen the wedding dress prior the ceremony.

Most reactions

Back