When Will The Bokeh Craze End

RAZKY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you'll reread the original post the "craze" I refer to has little to do with with the Bokeh, selective focus, OOF or any other qualities imparted by the glass. Instead many are using the Radial or Gaussian blur filter post to obliviate anything that might have been in the background, leaving a disconnected body floating in a cloud. Or they reach for anything with the widest aperture they can find so their DOF becomes so thin that they're lucky if they catch the eye in focus.

Yes the Bokeh imparted in the OOF areas by some glass can be beautiful, some glass not so much. Yes selective focus is a way to isolate the subject in a frame, but moving or changing your angle can also minimize distracting backgrounds. In an environmental shot the background is a part of the composition so why would you want to eliminate it.

Where the craze or maybe crazy comes in is where the photographer automatically shoots wide open or goes straight to PS rather than considering the best choices for the subject at hand.
Looks the same now as when I first read it.

mrca

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Smoke in his original post said "Do they care that you had to sell a body part to buy your new lens, are they impressed with how big your lens is, or what its maximum aperture is." Oof background, whether created by the lens or in post should be employed for a reason, not just every shot. Of course, if that is someones style, then go for it. I would view that as a one trick pony. But knowing when to use it and using it appropriately is part of mastering the craft. Personally, I don't care what others are doing, but when I am judging professional competitions, I expect that concept to be understood. And Smoke is right, it is a crutch to avoid having to compose multiple elements in the frame. If the subject is the only sharp element in the frame, that's easy, but if the shot is trying to show context for the subject then compostional skills become important and you don't get those swiping a credit card for a lens. I have seen folks do the same with burning virtually to pure black around the subject to eliminate distracting elements they didn't eliminate or compose before clicking the shutter. Sure, when you can't place subject, change position or don't have time, eliminating bg with wide aperture or completely with vignette is understandable. But I believe the point of this thread is folks just using shallow dof just because they can. As I said, when you have a hammer, everything is a nail.

flyingPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its a basic defect in cameras.

The default for auto exposure is to drop lens aperture to the largest opening the lens can do. No matter what..

Im starting to think its also a defective combination with how some cameras use an IR lamp on the side of the lens to help the auto focus, well focus in on something.

Most reactions

New Topics