When you crop a photo...

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Are dimensions important? Do you crop with a specific dimension in mind in case you want to print?

Yes, dimensions are important. Actually, they are the only reason I crop.

I crop in camera as much as possible but sometimes the dimensions of the end piece doesn't fit the format of the in-camera image so I crop.

Yes dimension are important, however I crop until it looks good to me...

Yes, this technique has come back to bite me in the @ss a few times...

The dimensions really aren't that important by themselves. But the ratio between them is when it comes to cropping.

The dimensions really aren't that important by themselves. But the ratio between them is when it comes to cropping.

:thumbdown:

So you just crop an image, regardless of the aspect ratio?

Absolutly.

Who cares about the aspect ratio? The only thing that matters is the size of the end product which is decided by the client. And you shoot in such a way as to be able to crop to fit that size.

I would agree, however for this particular topic dimensions for printing would directly relate to aspect ratio.

I'll bite... because cropping a 4x6 or a 5x7 or an 8x10 the aspect changes. I don't just crop them all the same and send them off to get printed and hope that they come out ok based on what the lab decided to chop off.

So yes... once I know what size I'm printing a picture, I crop to that ratio.

Absolutly.

Who cares about the aspect ratio? The only thing that matters is the size of the end product which is decided by the client. And you shoot in such a way as to be able to crop to fit that size.

Well if you are focused on popular print dimensions, they all actually have an aspect ratio.

Absolutly.

So you would happily print this on an 8x10?:

SaturdayNightDowntownPost.jpg

I crop for a specific dimension in mind, but I only print images for myself so I'm good to go. :)

It seems like you just roam around the forums just to start trouble. I asked what people do in their specific situations.
It seems you should dig a little deeper, but thanks for the compliment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back