Where are the pentax people? Post your favorite pentax photo

51280018491_be28c5bcda_b.jpg

Well I can finally post here. Pentax PZ-1-P Fuji Superia Xtra 400. I just got the camera so everything was shot on some auto mode to see if things were working. Loved how they turned out. This is going to be a normal body in the rotation.
Broadhead000980-R1-061-29.jpg

She found a log she couldn't get over
Broadhead000980-R1-045-21.jpg

Broadhead000980-R1-019-8.jpg

@Warfarin welcome to the dark side.

there's other stuff out technilogically much more advanced and better suited for certain types of photography.

Seriously??? First off its bad form to run down another's equipment and I believe against forum rules. I started with Pentax in the 60's. Over the years I never found anything equal to or superior in any way to Pentax for build quality, durability or capabilities. A K1000 in the hands of a skilled photographer will always trump a "technology fan" wannabe.

Pentax's target market are traditionalist, the backward/forward lens compatibility is a big part of that. I have early legacy glass that performs just as well today as it did when it came out, and the 5-axis IBIS sensor beats anything I've seen for stabilization. Pentax came out with a mirroless in 2011 that offered the same backward/forward compatibility on glass and it still failed to win over the die hard fan base. Pentax was the first to I introduce pixel shift and continues to improve on it. How about weather sealing, self leveling, ISO 1600000 (on board vs software generated), or the new SAFOX 13 autofocus system, and the list goes on. My K1-II and K3-II have never left me wanting more, but when they do you can bet it will be another Pentax.

Last edited:
this was taken a few weeks ago at a local wildlife refuge at dawn. K-1ii, pixel shift
IMGP7572.jpg

The K-1ii can't keep up. AF is fine, but at 4.5 fps, a shallow buffer and slow card write speeds, it's just too slow in that respect and often locks up as it sits there writing to the card

The only time I had any buffering issues was back in my early "spray and hope days". My shooting is more deliberate now. The only multiples I do now are over unders, pixel shift, and the occasional in camera HDR.

All things can be improved on but sometimes you get to a point of diminishing returns. Let's face it, the K1-ii is not likely to be a beginners camera, and advanced users don't necessarily like giving up control of the image. There's already several things in the sub menus that I don't use on a regular basis, and a few I've never used.

Many years ago I dabbled in medium format film, and have thought about the 645z many times. If I were still doing much paid work it would most definately be on my must have list, but at my age you only need so many toys at one time.

My first digital camera was a Pentax ES1000. It was horrible by todays standards but I loved it. It's around here somewhere. One of my grandkids got a hold of it about 7-8 months ago and haven't seen it since. I have loved Pentax for a long time and have wanted to try their system. First off the MZ series suck. I like the interface but man are they weak. I picked up 4 different models and so far 2 have broken. The PZ-1-P I have feels like a tank and I see it working for the rest of my lifetime. Also picked up a SFXn and have a Z-20 coming. Let you know on the Z series. That SFXn is one tank of a camera. I will be taking it out soon and using it. Feels like I could drive nails with it then take pictures of what I built without missing a beat. I don't think I will totally jump ship but it will be fun hanging with the Pentaxians. Will be looking at digital fairly soon. I know I wanted a *istD when they first came out.

I'm sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers as that wasn't my intent. Probably should have worded that better. Not knocking Pentax or anybody, just mentioning some things I'd like to see improved & actual issues I've had.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers as that wasn't my intent. Probably should have worded that better. Not knocking Pentax or anybody, just mentioning some things I'd like to see improved & actual issues I've had.
No issue with me, as often happens with forum posts how you read it, and what was meant are sometimes two different things. All good on my end.

A little pixel shift with motion correction from the Smokies last Nov. Adobe is better at motion correction of Pixel Shift, but I find that using the Pentax's DU5 first to convert to a tiff, does a lot better job. Even with a breeze it came out sharp.
IMGP8896.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: pez
No issue with me, as often happens with forum posts how you read it, and what was meant are sometimes two different things. All good on my end.

A little pixel shift with motion correction from the Smokies last Nov. Adobe is better at motion correction of Pixel Shift, but I find that using the Pentax's DU5 first to convert to a tiff, does a lot better job. Even with a breeze it came out sharp.
IMGP8896.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr
Looks great! I forget to use pixel shift.

Looks great! I forget to use pixel shift

Thank you. I take spells where I forget also. Then there are times when I choose not to because it can be almost to real.

Looks great! I forget to use pixel shift.
I use Pixelshift(motion) constantly, Took these last week(two of many). In my case I find that using Affinity,photo does a nice job handling the editing part of
IMGP0693.jpg
IMGP0822.jpg
it. The second shot was taken from a kayak, not the most stable platform to shoot from.

I've several Pentax film Slr's, and all my Dslr's are Pentax, but the only film
48417456_10215783744765543_1330143932687843328_n-2.1.jpg
one with AF is my PZ-1p. It gets used in rotation with the others. Takes great photos. This one is from Christmas Day 2021. Freakin' freezing out; no problems.

I use Pixelshift(motion) constantly, Took these last week(two of many). In my case I find that using Affinity,photo does a nice job handling the editing part of

Nice shots!!! Joel I'm pretty much convinced that no 3rd party editing software will handle motion correction in Pentax's Pixel Shift as well as the proprietary DU5. It's a free download from Pentax. The editing functions within are clunky and hard to use, so I first take the PS image in DU5 and convert to tiff, then edit as normal with LR. It takes a little longer (which is why I don't use PS as often), but to me the results are superior.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back