Where can I find free public domain images and pictures?

ColorExperts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, let me help to know where can i find free public domain images and pictures? Thanks.

"Public Domain" is a very specific term... it generally means the images are owned by the public. This might happen, for example, if images were taken as part of a government-sponsored (taxpayer-funded) project (but not always).

There are many many more images taken by private individuals who will allow you to use them. if what you really want are images that you are free to use without paying royalties, you may want to search for "Creative Commons" licensed works at Flickr. These images are NOT in the "Public Domain" -- they are owned (usually) by individuals (who are willing to let you use the images provided you comply with their reasonable conditions.)

Go to Flickr and do a search. e.g. suppose I want to search for photos that include a giraffe. You'll have to perform an initial search (e.g. I'd enter 'Giraffe' and submit it.)
AFTER you get your initial search result set, you'll notice that there's _now_ a link next to the search box to do an 'Advanced Search' which wasn't there until you do an initial search (I don't know why they don't let you go straight to the advanced search to start.)

At the bottom of the advanced search screen is a checkbox to "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content". Click that and re-submit your search.

There are many variations on Creative Commons licenses... some have strings attached. You can get the details of the specific license by clicking the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back