Where did my post go about gary fong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that is not always true, at least not from where I come from in parts of LA.
In the real world, people use proper language and words as defined by accredited dictionaries.

In the real world, adults do not ..................... nevermind, this will just go by the wayside anyhow.

Well, the one light source is created from the plastic piece of crap you attached to the end of your flash that spreads light in every direction. The second(or third) point of light could be created by somebody holding a reflector behind the photographer, if the photographer bounced off a nearby wall, or bounced off a low ceiling. Yes, generally, effective bounce flash would show a larger catchlight, but if the photographer was close to the wall/reflector/ceiling/etc and the subject was further away, the catchlights could appear exactly as shown in the examples.

If you understand bounce flash, understand the superiority of using an entire wall as a light source instead of a piece of tupperware, and understand angle of incidence, I am sure that you could spend 5 minutes and replicate those catchlights using your flash and that modifier. Heck, if you want small catchlights, bounce your flash off a mirror.

All light modifiers that change a 2 inch light source into a 4 inch light source and promise people the moon are a scam. The Gary Fong thingy is no worse or better than any other, but that doesn't mean those photos could not have been taken with one light source and a bit of planning.

Also, I'm not sure what he promises in his advertisements. You didn't link any of the shooting conditions, but he could have also been balancing his flash with ambient(which would be a perfectly valid way of using his modifier) in which case there would be multiple light sources.

Honestly, it sounds like you thought you could stick a piece of plastic at the end of your flash and get professional results every time. If you can't understand why that is silly, then you deserve to lose your money.

exactly how do u produce two pin point catch lights from 1 light source? keep in mind ceiling bounces usually don't show and when they do they are much much bigger.
I haven't bought one of those modifiers. I think they are a waste of money, but for what it's worth, those catchlights could easily be created by one light source and the gary fong modifier. Actually, those catchlights are exactly what I would expect from his modifier used with bounce flash. I'm thinking it's operator error, but then again, you thought you could buy a piece of plastic to stick on the end of your flash and that it would completely change how your shots turn out.

Here is something for free, that will actually change how your shots turn out...knowledge.
http://neilvn.com/tangents/index/flash-photography/

Last edited:
Kerbouchard said:
All light modifiers that change a 2 inch light source into a 4 inch light source and promise people the moon are a scam. SNIP>>>>
Here is something for free, that will actually change how your shots turn out...knowledge.

See, that is **the issue** with Fong diffusers, Sto-Fen diffusers, and the Canon- and Nikon-supplied Sto-Fen imitators...they take the front of the flash head's Fresnel lens and "enlarge" (cough,cough!) the size of the flash head by roughly 50%--or less!!! Same thing with small 3x4 and 5x7 inch air-filled softboxes; they make a small 1x3 inch flash Fresnel lens only a small bit larger. Unless one is shooting macro shots of very small objects, none of the slip-on diffusers or micro-sized softbox attachments create the "LARGE LIGHT SOURCE" needed to make humans look as if they were lighted by soft light!!!!

Now, in confined spaces, like low-ceilinged rooms, with small groups of people standing very close to the camera, the new Fong device that sends a lot of light straight up, and diffuses some of the light and then allows it to go forward--well, that is the type of situation and subject matter for which that product is designed to work best on. The photos Gary has are not so much false and misleading as they are poorly described, and poorly defined for people who really do NOT understand the concept of large light source/soft light, as well as the idea that a diffuser is almost USELESS on longer-range shots...

Derral - I thought the idea of the Sto-fen and similar devices wasn't to increase the size of the original light source on the camera, but rather to increase the spreadout of light from that source with the intent of being used indoors so that it uses the walls/surroundings to create a much greater sized light source onto the subject.

That said the stofen and similar are often "abused" as just straight point and shoot type light modifiers - indoors and outdoors.

Derral - I thought the idea of the Sto-fen and similar devices wasn't to increase the size of the original light source on the camera, but rather to increase the spreadout of light from that source with the intent of being used indoors so that it uses the walls/surroundings to create a much greater sized light source onto the subject.

That said the stofen and similar are often "abused" as just straight point and shoot type light modifiers - indoors and outdoors.

I've seen it marketed both ways, but more often than not, it is user error and not knowing when the specific circumstance could benefit from using it.

For instance, if I am in a typical house with low ceilings and not a lot of room, I may use a diffuser on my flash to help spread the light before it hits whatever I am using as a bounce surface. Macro, same thing. They can be useful, but in most cases, the power loss and the lack of control of the diffusion more than outweigh any potential benefits.

Derrel, you should be writing Gary Fong's ad copy. You're right on the mark about how it works.

Kerbouchard said:
All light modifiers that change a 2 inch light source into a 4 inch light source and promise people the moon are a scam. SNIP>>>>

See, that is **the issue** with Fong diffusers, Sto-Fen diffusers, and the Canon- and Nikon-supplied Sto-Fen imitators...they take the front of the flash head's Fresnel lens and "enlarge" (cough,cough!) the size of the flash head by roughly 50%--or less!!! Same thing with small 3x4 and 5x7 inch air-filled softboxes; they make a small 1x3 inch flash Fresnel lens only a small bit larger. Unless one is shooting macro shots of very small objects, none of the slip-on diffusers or micro-sized softbox attachments create the "LARGE LIGHT SOURCE" needed to make humans look as if they were lighted by soft light!!!!

Now, in confined spaces, like low-ceilinged rooms, with small groups of people standing very close to the camera, the new Fong device that sends a lot of light straight up, and diffuses some of the light and then allows it to go forward--well, that is the type of situation and subject matter for which that product is designed to work best on. The photos Gary has are not so much false and misleading as they are poorly described, and poorly defined for people who really do NOT understand the concept of large light source/soft light, as well as the idea that a diffuser is almost USELESS on longer-range shots...

As Derrel points out, these devices don't actually soften the light from the flash...not in any significant way. But they do have their uses...specifically, smaller indoor spaces where there is amble surfaces for bouncing the light.

The problem is that most of the people who buy & use these things, don't really understand them...and thus, use them in situations where not only don't they work well, but they actually hurt your cause because they waste so much light. But of course, the makers/sellers of these products are usually pretty vague about when & where you should use them...and when you should not use them.

So as always, knowledge is key. If you know how light behaves, you can make an informed choice as to when these flash accessories will be useful and when they won't....rather than just buying it, sticking it onto you flash and hoping/thinking that it will make an improvement.

Big Mike said:
SNIP>>>So as always, knowledge is key.

So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.So as always, knowledge is key.

Huh...why would anybody want to obtain this "knowledge" stuff???

Derrel, why should I get this "knowledge" you speak of when I can come here and use yours :lol:!

No body gets scammed buying a Gary Fong diffuser. Anyone who goes to his website and willingly parts with that much money for a tupperware container knows exactly what they are getting in to.

It's threads like this that remind me why I disconnected cable & satellite TV years ago. Far better entertainment, for a whole lot less.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back