Where did you learn composition

Apparently you haven't read a lot of my posts. As I'm currently in a long standing, committed relationship which I've spoken about off handedly in a few posts. It would have been easy to miss.

Visiting an art museum and viewing some of the work there will give you an appreciation for some of the classic composition rules (leading lines, light advances, etc..).

The one here in Cleveland (not sure how close you are) is pretty decent and they've been doing a lot of expanding lately.

It would have been easy to miss.

I guess so was the smiley along with the long, drawn out, obviouslys sarcastic explaination that it was a joke.

I find that composition is broken into two rough parts - first there is understanding the theories behind it and also looking at the works of others and trying to best understand the "why" of why they work.

Then the next stage is seeing those compositions in your own photography - both in the scene at large and through the viewfinder. This latter stage can often be the harder part to learn (at least I find) especially if you work with a more dynamic subject that you have little/no control over.

My advice is to first study the books and the theories - things like leading lines - the golden circle - direction of motion - eyes - light and dark space - tonality - rule of thirds etc......
Then move on to study the works of others and your own photos - don't just stare and think; activly write down your points as you see and think about them. This act of writing forces you to pay attention to what you are thinking and also helps organise your thoughts.

From there its time to move onto adapting your photography and generaly the major message is - no matter what you shoot - slow down. Some move into single shot mode instead of burst mode and start to take far fewer shots; but aim to think and consider each shot before taking them. It helps a lot in this if you have a good grasp over the technical aspects of your camera; so that you can think; change and control your settings without having to put too much time and mind to it - ie to make it a more instinctive control. That frees time and mind to consider the composition.

Most reactions

Back