Where did you learn composition

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The one thing I am struggling most with is composition. Does anyone have any good references for reading material on composition?

Bryan Peterson has a book on composition that my teachers in the judging classes used. (Learning to see creatively: design ... - Google Books)

Freeman Patterson has some really good ideas: Freeman Patterson : Books

I'm also married to a really good fine artist (no, you can't have her), who teaches me every day with her compositions what art can look like.

Some of the people in photography that I admire have spend their careers learning graphic art and composition, and are still learning. It's a journey, not a destination.

Where did you learn composition

Shooting my kids and dogs, cats, moths, flys, rabbits, emus, lemurs, my kids some more, my neighbors kids, my nieces, nephews and aunts.

A bit of trial and error.

there are a few basic guidelines to classic art photography. Those are some good links above to investigate (thanks). I try to mimic what I find appealing to me.

Lol sooo your the guy who I see everyone talking about ...

Guilty as charged.... #5 on the "Most Replied Thread" list.
Thanks for the links.

Lol sooo your the guy who I see everyone talking about ...

[/url]

The only reason why i am reading this thread.
Sorry, but after the beating I took, I think its best to avoid stirring up any more **** storms. I'm going to try and not be so passive agressive anymore. Though in my defense, once the personal attacks started rolling in, it became less of a thread and more of a game. Some people aren't capable of understanding the broad context of the Internet. What you read, and what was meant are often very distant when you are in front of a computer screen. I know what I said, I know what I meant and a few responders couldn't connect the two...

I'm not a a$$hat, I just play one on the Internet.

I practice by taking photos of my kids.

Touche..... :lmao:

Sorry, but after the beating I took, I think its best to avoid stirring up any more **** storms. I'm going to try and not be so passive agressive anymore. Though in my defense, once the personal attacks started rolling in, it became less of a thread and more of a game. Some people aren't capable of understanding the broad context of the Internet. What you read, and what was meant are often very distant when you are in front of a computer screen. I know what I said, I know what I meant and a few responders couldn't connect the two...
Sorry, but youz ain't dat slick jack. Take a lesson from the king of pop..... not like the real king, you know... Elvis.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I think composition sometimes can be a matter of opinion. I do what I think looks good. I didn't learn from a book, or a person... I learned from me :)

Sorry, but youz ain't dat slick jack. Take a lesson from the king of pop..... not like the real king, you know... Elvis.........
Wonderful analogy, I find your connection of Michael Jackson's "Moon walk" and my sudo-apology to be quite ingenous.

I don't even have kids.

I don't think anyone is surprised. :lol: (oops... better put the smiley in there... wouldn't want you to think I was implying that from what I've read of your posts on this site that I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that you have any chance of reproducing, because that simply isn't true.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back