Where do I develop B&W film in Utah?

All right!!

BTW a $0.75 quart bottle of hydrogen peroxide is the same material as the $3 storage bottle in the shops. Buy three of those and dump out the peroxide and rinse thoroughly and you've saved another 7 or 8 bucks. :)

I agree that developing it yourself is the way to go, but nobody has mentioned that once they're dry, to digitize your photos, you're going to need a film scanner, (they're pretty cheap these days for flatbeds) or if you want traditional prints, you're going to have to send the b/w film out for those..

Thanks everyone! As far as making scans of my photos, I can actually either pay Costco to do that for me for fairly cheap or I can take pictures of the prints I make with my D40. Either way works well enough for me. And I heard that you can make prints of B&W film anywhere that does color film, since all they do is scan the photos on to the computer and print from that.

Thanks everyone! As far as making scans of my photos, I can actually either pay Costco to do that for me for fairly cheap or I can take pictures of the prints I make with my D40. Either way works well enough for me. And I heard that you can make prints of B&W film anywhere that does color film, since all they do is scan the photos on to the computer and print from that.

Sounds like you're set then. Good luck and have fun.

Ok, I know it's been a while since I said I would get everything for developing my own film, but due to some financial issues that popped up, I had to wait. I finally had enough money today to actually buy everything, though, so I went ahead and jumped right into it. I got everything I need (including a changing bag, which most people probably don't think is necessary) for $60. I should have my first roll of self-developed film done within the next two weeks. I'm really excited.

But for now, I must stick to C-41 process film. Some of it doesn't look too bad, though:

halou.jpg

This was taken with Ilford XP2 Super film. What do you think for a beginner with film?

Last edited:
Ok, I know it's been a while since I said I would get everything for developing my own film, but due to some financial issues that popped up, I had to wait. I finally had enough money today to actually buy everything, though, so I went ahead and jumped right into it. I got everything I need (including a changing bag, which most people probably don't think is necessary) for $60. I should have my first roll of self-developed film done within the next two weeks. I'm really excited.

But for now, I must stick to C-41 process film. Some of it doesn't look too bad, though:

halo.jpg

This was taken with Ilford XP2 Super film. What do you think for a beginner with film?

Not bad - interesting for a silhouette. Have you done any fine-arts-esque photography before (maybe with digital?) and you're just starting on film or are you entering the world of photography through the film medium first?

Which filter did you use here?

Not bad - interesting for a silhouette. Have you done any fine-arts-esque photography before (maybe with digital?) and you're just starting on film or are you entering the world of photography through the film medium first?

Which filter did you use here?

Thank you very much. :) I've done tons and tons with digital. I've been doing digital for a couple years now, but I decided that I was getting a little bored of it and I bought myself a Minolta SRT-101. So yes, I'm just starting in film photography (and I absolutely love it). I used a Quantaray R2 filter. My lens was a little bent on the outer rim, so I kinda had to force the filter on there. It's still not on correctly, but it does its job.

Ok guys, I finally got everything in the mail. I actually just finished developing my first roll, and it was REALLY fun and easy. Definitely a lot easier than I had planned. I'm pretty proud of how they turned out, too. I got almost exactly the look I was hoping for, so I'm pleased. Here are a few from the roll:

library.jpg

tower.jpg

delicate.jpg

creed.jpg

Feedback is more than welcome. I hope you guys enjoy these. :)

Well done! :thumbup:

Yes ... well done .. you are one of the few people that is going from digital to film. My film education has helped me most in B&W conversion. Most people do not know what to look for ... or what elements are needed for a good B&W ... processing and printing B&W will go a long way in helping tyou develop a good B&W conversion eye. After you get very comfortable with developing ... remember that you can expose and develop to get the most out of particular zones ... like highlights (of course the shadows will fall off). You can also develop in a manner that minimizes grain ... I would barely agitate the development tank.

But first get comfortable and standardize your development before experimenting.

Gary

Most reactions

Back