Where do i shop for dslr equipments?

xcon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I live in LA where do i shop for DSLRs? i am a total newbie. what kind of equipment should i get? im looking to get DSLRs not films. i try to shoot short range stuff. my budget is around 1000. what brand cameras should i get? nikon or cannon. what model do you recommand. DO i get a standard autofocus or zoom? thanks in advance

Slow down... pick up your local yellow pages, and look up "Photography equipment" or "Cameras, retail" and pick three or four shops that you can get to easily. Visit each one, explain to the sales-person what you want, what your interests are, and what your budget is. They will show you the model(s) they have, and give you recommendations. You may well find that you like one model over another simply because of the way it feels in your hands. Yes, Nikon and Canon are both top names, but don't forget about Sony, and Pentax. As well, there's always used equipment to consider.

Most entry-level DSLRs are available as kits with one or two lenses included in the price; these are generally mid-range zooms which are suitable for a wide range of basic photography.

Hey xcon, I think you question is almost perfectly answered by Ken Rockwell, read his recommendation and go for the D40, :wink: especially if you're on a $1K budget this is a very sensible choice.
Buy any of the new Nikon AFS 18-NNNmm zooms, as your budget allows. (18-55 or 18-70 or 18-200, VR is nice for low light handheld photography, but you can definitely live without VR for a while)

Canon are also an option some say better option, their equivalent would be the Rebel XS or XSi, perhaps, why bother with endless contemplations?

I would not go for anything that isn't Canon or Nikon, but no strong preference for one of the two.

Cheers,

Most reactions

Back