Where do I start?

DuneRose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The sticky threads in this forum have broken links. So where does someone with no knowledge of photography and only a kit lens start at? What books do I need, what do I need to learn. Advice for a beginner?

First thing, find a sort of expanded manual for your camera. When I started, I had just bought a Nikon D3100 and I found this very useful: Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide (9780470648650): J. Dennis Thomas: Books

For just about every major make of dSLR, there will be something like it.

Next I bought Scott Kelby's series: Amazon.com: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 (9780321678737): Scott Kelby: Books

Scott's not a great creative photographer, but he knows the technical side of photography inside and out, and best of all he explains things very clearly (though his sense of humor can be a bit annoying at times, sometimes it is funny).

Next I bought As many of Michael Freeman's books as I could find, as I think he's an amazing photographer for helping you begin to get to the 'next level'.

I thought his most helpful books were: Amazon.com: Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs (9780240811710): Michael Freeman: Books ; Amazon.com: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos (9780240809342): Michael Freeman: Books ; Amazon.com: The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos (9780240815176): Michael Freeman: Books and Amazon.com: The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography (9780240815183): Michael Freeman: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Start by reading your camera manual, and understand how it works.
Ill give you this video:
Watch from episode one to 240, this would be somewhat helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really.

For example, if you read actual books and other sources about composition, these professionals are never this strict about the rule of thirds. In fact, some of them claim outright "there is no rule of thirds". And the others are only specifying it as a possibility, not as something you should follow all the time.

Even worse, these pictures they give as example dont even follow it. The bee in the first picture is simply in the center of the picture !!! And yet its the most interesting pictures of these examples. Teh.

Other stuff, like "framing your picture" - thats nowhere to be found in what I consumed about composition so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back