Where do you personally buy your cameras from?

Let's put it this way: it's not always a good idea to save $20,$25, or $30 by buying from a small web-based seller when you can have the USA warranty, easy return/exchange/replace options at the big dealers AND the majority of local brick and mortars...

This is why I don't want to buy used. I know most people don't have problems with "used", but it just takes that one time. We're not talking about an Ipod or a CD player. This for me is going to be a big expense and investment that I will rely on. And if it is that "one time" where I get screwed, that's it. I'm not in a place where I can easily recover. I have to cover my ass even it costs a bit more.

I typically buy large purchases from Adorama. I only prefer them over B&H because they're the first place I bought from when I started to spend larger amounts. Their shipping is lightning fast too. B&H is great too by reputation. I have bought a used lens from KEH and was surprised that it was actually in better condition than I thought it would be.

OK - as far as not buying used. The big sellers like Adorama and B&H back up their used equipment pretty good and if you feel like you've been mislead as to quality of the item I'm sure they'd take care of you. You can also buy a service contract for a body up to $800 for $59 at Adorama. Personally, if I were on a tight budget and wanted a little nicer camera I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. I'd buy the best used camera I could afford in the best condition I could.

It's all about preference though. If you buy a new camera from a Best Buy or equivalent are you going to shell out the extra for the replacement plan? If so then I'd certainly buy used instead and get a service contract or something. Get the D3100 over the D3000. You can also get a refurbished D5100 with an 18-55mm lens for $669.95 at B&H. Pretty sure you get the warranty too or a B&H equivalent. Have you considered just using your P&S for a bit longer and saving for an extra month or two to get a better body? Don't forget that you're going to have just a kit lens. You have exhibited an interest in macro - have you thought about the expense of a macro lens? Or at least a set of tubes?

Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Ok so in all honesty, what is the average lifespan of the Nikon Dslr? How long can I expect to hold on to this camera?

Depends on the model. Shutter lifespans are longer on the more expensive models. Generally 50,000-100,000 acuations for the lower end on up to 200,000-300,000 or beyond for the upper end.

It varies per the level of the camera. I'd say the minimum test is 120,000 actuations. I'm no expert, however. Most used cameras seems to be in the 10-20K actuation range that I've seen. Somebody else probably has more info on that one.

bought my Canon T2i from Best Buy lol.

I figured out which camera I wanted first, and then checked out places that had it in stock.

I too, ended up buying it from Best Buy... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE HORROOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!! NOT *BEST BUY*!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

(Yeah, yeah, I know... support local camera shops and all that... but when you're married to a musician and in between tours yourself... every penny counts. :lmao: )

haha yeah my camera was on sale online with the option of picking it up in the store so I ordered it online, waited about 30 minutes, went to the store and picked it up. I also looked while I was in there and I did actually pay less (like $50 or so) than it would have cost if I had bought it in the store so it was a pretty good deal.

Also, I live in a fairly small town that doesn't have a camera shop (or really ANY specialized stores). You can't get crap here that they don't sell at Wal-Mart or Best Buy, it's pretty pathetic.

I talk to a guy in Adorama who never tries to sell me anything and then once I get the info I am looking for I shop online. sometimes I find Adorama is the best deal and sometimes not. Get your knowledge first and then buy.

It varies per the level of the camera. I'd say the minimum test is 120,000 actuations. I'm no expert, however. Most used cameras seems to be in the 10-20K actuation range that I've seen. Somebody else probably has more info on that one.
This is going to be a big purchase for me. I should get at least a few years out of it right? I have another camera that I'm using now I can use also to kind of balance it out.

How long have you shot with your current body and how many actuations have you put it through? You do realize if the shutter ever dies, the body isn't toast. Just send it off for repair and they'll install a new one for a couple hundred bucks.

Oh that's good. I've put about 800 actutations in a month on my current camera.

Just going to drop my two cents in here. I was looking at both suggestions from previous threads, mostly Adorama and B&H. I bought my first lens from B&H, got an accidental 2 year warranty, free shipping had it in time for Christmas, you just can't that kind of online service. I always insure, and warranty anything that is going to be used more than my TV lol. I'm going to buy the D7000 soon, but only place that currently has them...you guess it, Best Buy. To be fair they have the same camera body for the same price and, can pick it up sooner. Now back to your questions & answers.

Oh that's good. I've put about 800 actutations in a month on my current camera.

So if your shutter holds up to the low end of 100,000 actuations, It'll last over 10 years at your current rate. The D90 is rated for 150,000 actuations, so if it already had 20,000 actuations (seems to be the average for used D90's) then at your current rate it would last you another 13 years assuming it makes it to the rated count.

Whoa, wait a minute. She's shooting with a P&S currently. Shutter actuations don't count in that instance so far as I understand. Your P&S doesn't work the same way a dSLR does and you don't have the same concerns in that regard. I'd seriously take a look at a used D90 at any rate. It's a good camera and one you can grow with for some time. You'll quickly get to the point where you want something more from the D3100 and the D90 has more features for you to grow with. Just my suggestion, however, and I am far from an expert in this area.

Whoa, wait a minute. She's shooting with a P&S currently. Shutter actuations don't count in that instance so far as I understand. Your P&S doesn't work the same way a dSLR does and you don't have the same concerns in that regard. I'd seriously take a look at a used D90 at any rate. It's a good camera and one you can grow with for some time. You'll quickly get to the point where you want something more from the D3100 and the D90 has more features for you to grow with. Just my suggestion, however, and I am far from an expert in this area.
Thanks. I'm well aware what actuations lifespan factor differs from a P&S. I was wondering how long I can expect my DSLR will last when I get it. I just offered my average shutter count to give people an idea of my activity level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back