Where do you work: Local Hard drive or External

Rudipides

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im trying to organize my workflow better and I'm trying to decide if I want to

a.) keep my files and folders on the local hard drive and perform all work locally.

or

b.) Immediately create folders and put all my files on an external drive and perform my processing externally.

NOTE: regardless of the option the files are backed up to yet another backup local so I would always have 2 copies.

Also, I use two computers (laptop and desktop) that I use at therefore I think the external may work best for me.

So, what do you guys do?

Last edited:
I use Lightroom for my processing.
I put all work on my external USB 3TB drive.
Unless I'm not at home then I work on the local HD. Then when I get home I simply MOVE them to the USB drive.

The system seems to work significantly faster when the RAW files are on the external USB drive.

I keep all my programs on an SSD and all my data files on a fast internal HD and backup compulsively to two USB 3 externals.

On my laptop I just run windows on my SSD, and put all the other files on my 1TB hard drive, but I think I'm going I get an external one to save space.

I have my work local, processed local and backed up on a Drobo 5 bay with double redundancy and then that is backed up onto 2 separate external drives. Jeesh, not sure what to do when I am at capacity!

I put everything straight from my sd card onto an external drive then backup to a second external drive. The first external is my "main" drive for photos and I work on editing straight from that. When I've finished editing a particular folder (or at the end of a day), I also make a backup copy of all the edited files onto the second external drive.

It works for me, because there are a total of four computers I might be using on any given day and want to either access or edit photos on, so keeping photos on one of the internal drives just wouldn't work well for me.

similar to Keith

I work on local disks, then move finished work to a Windows Home Server in my basement which also uses local storage and runs 2 nightly backups: the first backup goes to external storage and the 2nd backup goes to Windows Azure cloud storage.

Desktop: C drive has programs / E drive has working files (1TB) / F drive (SSD) is used as scratch disk / External drives used as backups

I have a crapload of these in shoe boxes. :wink:

$file0001478258242.jpg

Current projects local SSD
Completed projects, external and backed up

Most reactions

Back