Where/how do you find models?

Lovelace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I'm hoping this is a good spot. So I'm getting tired of using stock images to make all of my photomanipulations and conceptual/abstract art. It's hard to find the right pictures, there are restrictions as to how you can use the work, and you can never fully say that it's your own. There have been so many times I've wanted to do pictures involving, well, people. But I'm just a 16 year-old female, and all of my friends have insisted they're too camera shy for that kind of thing. So what can I do to find people to model for photos? Would offering payment increase my chances of finding someone? I know it's going to be especially hard for people to take me seriously since I'm just some kid with a camera, but I'm serious about my work, and I would love it so much if I could make all my strange ideas come to life. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Craigslist =D

If you had the money to offer, some people would jump on the idea, sure.

I would also suggest maybe posting up some flyers at a local college, asking for potential female models? Post something like, "Call Kylie (or whatever your name is): then list a phone number, just so they don't think you're a creepy pervert guy.

Also have you tried just going around town somewhere you might want to shoot, and finding a person there and simply asking them?

At your age I would stay away from cl unless you have a parent with you along the way.
Check your local drama clubs in both high school and college.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I might see about the flyer thing, and I'm familiar with some of the drama kids, even if we're not exactly friends.

Another question: if I pay the model, should I pre-pay them or pay them after the shoot? If I pay them in advance, there's no guarantee they'll actually cooperate or work with me. If I say I'll pay them afterwards, they might be paranoid that I'm not going to pay them at all and decline.

You can do TFP (Trade for print) or TFCD (Trade for CD) instead of paying cash.

They only get out of it, what they put into it that way.

You mean giving them high-quality prints after the shoot?

Correct You trade your time photographing them, for Prints or a CD with the edited shots for their portfolio (models and actors need them). I would pay after the shoot if you do pay.

^ Hmm, I like that idea. Before I start doing artistic shoots and doing crazy stuff, I'm gonna need some practice, and that'd be a good way to get some without spending too much money.

You mean giving them high-quality prints after the shoot?
Prints are cheap. A top-of-the-line online consumer lab like Mpix.com sells an 8x10 print for $2.
It doesn't have to be very many prints.

The problem will be that quite a few of the 'models' will agree to do a shoot with you and then not show. Also most of the 'models' will have little if any experience.

Visit http://www.modelmayhem.com/ look around and check out their forums.

Craigslist =D

Also have you tried just going around town somewhere you might want to shoot, and finding a person there and simply asking them?

I have looked on craigslist but never seem to find any models or ads looking for models maybe I am looking under the wrong area.

Like I said, I'm only 16. I'd love to use a site like modelmayhem or craigslist, but there's a lot of risk involved in that. And anyway, I don't think people would be willing to travel all the way to nowhereland for a 16 year-old somewhat-beginner. It's a nice idea to keep in mind for when I have more experience, though, so thanks for the suggestion.

I second this suggestion. The following photo I got just by telling the girl "Hey, you have an interesting look, would you mind if I shot a couple of photos of you?" I think it helps that approach if you're in a relatively busy area, and have a D-SLR so you look like you're serious about your photography.

pinkhairgirl.jpg

Like I said, I'm only 16. I'd love to use a site like modelmayhem or craigslist, but there's a lot of risk involved in that. And anyway, I don't think people would be willing to travel all the way to nowhereland for a 16 year-old somewhat-beginner. It's a nice idea to keep in mind for when I have more experience, though, so thanks for the suggestion.

I would stick more local then.
Just go to a busy part of your town and ask, (Hey I'm an aspiring photographer, and you seem very photogenic. Do you mind posing for me and letting me take some shots? If you have any time?

Also try people around your school, (Assuming your in high school) I'm sure there are some kids around that would be willing to have their pictures taken. Maybe post up a flyer on a bulletin board around your school?

What risk are you talking about? It's the photographers you have to watch out for, not the models. Worst thing a model will do to you is flake. You might be surprised how many MM'ers are in the middle of nowhere. Maybe even your middle of nowhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back