Where should I buy camera?

CelticWolf1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the camera picked out that I want. I was wondering where the best place would be to buy it. Should I buy online or a local store? Any benefit with one over the other?
Thanks,
CW

Without knowing your location, "Local store" doesn't have much relevancy, HOWEVER, i always recommend buying from a real, bricks and mortar camera store (as opposed to a big-box store that sells cameras). You may pay slightly more for it, but you will be able to talk to experts who can give you good advice, and NOT some pimply-faced, just out of high-school teenager who's got camera specs shoved into his brain-box between the stats on the latest 90" HD television and the improvements list of the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4!

Welcome to the forum.

There is certainly a benefit to buying a camera locally...especially from an actual camera store. If we don't support our local stores, they will be run out of business...it's already happening and many camera stores have sadly gone out of business. Also, there is a benefit to buying something where you can get your hands on it before it's been bought and paid for. You can talk to someone, face to face, to make sure that you really understand what you are getting and what your options are.
If you have a problem, it's usually a lot easier to just return to where you bought it, than to pack it up and ship it back to the retailer.
The in-store price is usually higher than on-line, but you won't have to pay shipping.

All that being said, if the on-line price (from a reputable seller) is a lot lower, that usually trumps everything else.

I'd suggest looking at B&H or Adorama, two of the biggest photography stores in the world.

That makes lots of sense. I am in the Detroit area. Thanks a lot Tirediron.

Benefits of buying at a store:
-immediate gratification (if in stock)
-no hassle if there is a problem with product
Online:
-Can find cheaper prices, but have to watch out for those who are not licensed to sell certain brands (eg. getting a canon with no registration card because seller is not an authorized dealer)

I work at a Best Buy and you can try to get them to match an online price. Depends on how bad they want to do business really. I just purchased a 60d body for 749.

What camera are you purchasing?

Without knowing your location, "Local store" doesn't have much relevancy, HOWEVER, i always recommend buying from a real, bricks and mortar camera store (as opposed to a big-box store that sells cameras). You may pay slightly more for it, but you will be able to talk to experts who can give you good advice, and NOT some pimply-faced, just out of high-school teenager who's got camera specs shoved into his brain-box between the stats on the latest 90" HD television and the improvements list of the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4!

There are SOME exceptions to this notion of 'big-box' store employees... like me! lol I like to really research camera products and photography in general. I have a few other people that I work with that have the same mentality. I wish I would be paid more for having dedication to my job! LOL

But for the most part, you got it right!

Benefits of buying at a store:
-immediate gratification (if in stock)
-no hassle if there is a problem with product
Online:
-Can find cheaper prices, but have to watch out for those who are not licensed to sell certain brands (eg. getting a canon with no registration card because seller is not an authorized dealer)

I work at a Best Buy and you can try to get them to match an online price. Depends on how bad they want to do business really. I just purchased a 60d body for 749.

What camera are you purchasing?

For Canon cameras, if the camera is indeed went through Canon USA, it is still good as long as you have a store invoice. Even if the store you purchase from is not a Authorized Canon dealer.

When I bought my G11, I saw overstock.com has it on sale but they are not authorized Canon dealer. I called up Canon USA and talked to one of the reps. And she said it's okay to get the camera from an non Canon authorized dealer but make sure it is a reputable company. As long as the cameras are not the grey market product and it is distributed by Canon USA with their warranty registration card included, the camera will be under Canon USA warranty.

She said since she knew that overstock.com bought excessive inventory from other authorized retailers, so it was fine to buy it from them and still have the full warranty from Canon USA.

However, even if you buy a camera from a authorized dealer, you still need to make sure it is indeed not the grey market product. There are reputable authorized dealers sell both US market as well as grey market product at the same time and usually the grey market products are cheaper (except when Canon run their rebate campaign)

B&H. Period.

If you buy locally at an actual camera store, you should still check out the local dept store sales/discounts. My local camera shop matched their price. So i got big box store price but knowledge/advice from true camera store (and confidence if I ever had problems they would make it right)

Most reactions

Back