Where should I go to learn more?

Aussieaddicts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18-135mm lens. I purchased a circular PL filter and a tripod along with an infared remote.............I am signed up for a 2 part course at Henry's specifically on using the D80....

Can anyone suggest a good site to teach me more? I am interested in outdoor photos along with portraits........

Any recommendations on another lens I should have?

I have taken the class at henrys on the d40 and you will learn quite a bit at it. I just ordered a d80 from them an will likely enroll in another class

There is no substitute for taking lots of shots, getting quality critique, and using the fundementals found in almost all art....... What is pleasing to the eye doesn't change just because the medium changes........:wink:

Post some shot here and thicken up your skin for the comments... take half to heart and toss the other half........:thumbup:

Very, very, very well said. (a post of the year nominee!)

There is no substitute for taking lots of shots, getting quality critique, and using the fundementals found in almost all art....... What is pleasing to the eye doesn't change just because the medium changes........:wink:

I agree with LarryD. If however you want a little more of an instructional approach I have heard good things about the New York Institute of Photography and their correspondence courses. YMMV.

Allan

When i first got into photography i looked around on TPF for a while and read a lot of threads and posted some of my pictures for critique and learned a lot just from that. Never post a picture just to receive praise to make yourself feel better about a shot, encourage actual constructive criticism. I love when people tear my photos apart because then i know how to approach things differently ultimately improving my photography skills. So thats my suggestion.

Once you know how to work your camera... and have the general idea of how shutter speed, aperture, and iso.. work together... The place to learn more is as easy as your back yard.

Echoing the responses from others, I would recommend taking lots ans lots of pictures. Some of your best lessons will be accidents, shots that you didn't think would turn out, or that your thought were too redundant. The more you take, chances are the more you'll learn.

I recently read some advice that said to take your camera with you EVERYWHERE. Now, I'm not nearly perfect at this, but as a student I invested in a camera/laptop backpack. Now, everywhere I take my backpack, I have my camera with me without ever having to think about it. This varies in feasibility based on your occupation and other activities, but geez it's nice to have that camera with you when you see a shot you want to take.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back