Where should I start?

smag4life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I just bought a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens and extra 55-200mm lens and a pack of various filters which should arrive within a week. While I am waiting, I was wondering if anyone has any suggesstions on where I should start my photographic adventures, from a technical perspective. Should I just throw it in auto and start shooting/learning the camera? Should I worry about lighting and exposure settings right now? I understand there's going to be a learning curve, but I am very excited to get into the nitty gritty of photography. Any suggesstions appreciated. Thanks.

-AJ

Auto probably won't teach you much about what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO will do. I recommend starting in Av (Aperture Value) mode, as learning what DoF is and how it affects your photo and exposure is a good start. I'd also suggest reading Understanding Exposure, as it seems to be a good stepping stone (Disclaimer: I've not read it myself, but it's recommended a lot)

In Av mode you will adjust the aperture with the scoll wheel, and the camera will set the shutter speed for you (and the ISO if it is set to Auto ISO).

I'm really new to this as well and can recommend reading as much as physically possible - on-line, books, magazines etc, anything you can get ya hands on. Match this with getting out as much as you can and just snap, snap, snap......try all the things you've learnt and don't be afraid to think out the box. I'd go with TV, AV and Manual....just whatever the scene dictates....have fun!!

I would start by reading your camera's manual cover-to-cover. It should explain things like aperture and depth-of-field, fast shutter speed v. slow shutter speed, ISO, how to use the light meter, exposure compensation, and all the other basics.

As PJL stated reading your camera users manual, with your camera close at hand is the place to start.

You can start that while the battery is charging. Don't worry about it when you read something you don't understand. The main goal is to read the entire manual through so you become familiar with how it is organized.

Take not where the Index is in the back of the manual. You will use it often in the future.

That will take care of learning what all the switches and menu's do.

Second you need to become conversant with the lens fundamentals so you understand what focal length and aperture are and how those relate to the 2 lenses you have.

Third you need to learn the fundamental elements that make a photograph work. That is also known as visual image composition.

The hard part comes when you start to integrate the 3. Technically you will also need to understand concepts like
  • depth-of-field (DOF)
  • field-of-view (FOV)
  • dynamic range
  • the exposure triad (shutter speed, aperture, ISO)
  • white balance
  • auto focus modes and limitations
  • bit-depth
  • image file types
  • histograms
  • image noise
  • color management

I just finished Understanding Exposure after seeing it recommended here quite a bit and I personally think it was worth it. Especially if you're looking to get a good grasp on the basics.

Firstly, You should read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson... It's a great book for beginners and will help you clarify most of the questions and concerns you might have.

Secondly, you should only shoot in MANUAL mode which will help you become an experienced photographer much sooner and yield better results as well. Maybe not at first, you will have to read and practice for a short while but keep in mind that you can't become a good photographer if you shoot in Auto. Just for get about the Auto anything. I don't get why some people purchase a really expensive DSLR and always shoot in Auto... The true art of photography as you envision it could only be expressed via the M mode.

Also, always shoot in .RAW ...

Lastly, lighting is the most important part of photography. If you'll be taking lots of nature photos, make sure to shoot either very early in the morning at sunrise or late afternoon at sunset, both of which reveal textures,shadows and depth in warm and vivid tones. Your photos will be harsh and contrasty without any real warmth if you shoot in flat light of the midday sun.
" Photographers who use and exploit light are not gifted! They have simply learned about light and have, thereby, become motivated to put themselves in a position to receive the gifts that the "right" light has to offer." Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson >>>

Good Luck ;)

Secondly, you should only shoot in MANUAL mode which will help you become an experienced photographer much sooner and yield better results as well. Maybe not at first, you will have to read and practice for a short while but keep in mind that you can't become a good photographer if you shoot in Auto. Just for get about the Auto anything. I don't get why some people purchase a really expensive DSLR and always shoot in Auto... The true art of photography as you envision it could only be expressed via the M mode.

Uhh, no. The suggestions above about practicing in semi auto modes (Av, Tv, P) are correct. On your new Nikon, these will be labeled A S P respectively.

The only time I would suggest a beginner shoot in full manual mode is when they are in a very controlled environment which they can take their time and explore what each adjustment results in. As you get more comfortable with your skills, you can incorporate this into other situations.

p!nK

Get a book explaining exposure. My first book was National Geographic ( I think it was called "A Field Guide to Photography" ) Reading the cameras manual is of importance also, but if you do not have a basic mental understanding of what factors into your exposure and the pros and cons of altering those factors depending on your needs, then the manual won't even make a dent in your brain.

Good Luck ;)

Thats the worst advice I have seen in quite some time on these forums...and that says a lot. Now if you meant to say "Semi-auto" modes than thats different, but pure manual doesn't make you any better of a photographer than buying a Leica camera does. Unless you are using off Camera Flash or doing some really unconventional shooting ( long exposures comes to mind ), Full Manual is a waste.

i have read Understanding Exposure and think it is a good to start but would not worry about the second part of the book where he goes into filters, advanced exposures, etc. until you read something on lighting.

i am reading light: science, magic right now and some of the filters and stuff that UE brings up is now clearer with a more indepth treatment

Uhh, no. The suggestions above about practicing in semi auto modes (Av, Tv, P) are correct. On your new Nikon, these will be labeled A S P respectively.

The only time I would suggest a beginner shoot in full manual mode is when they are in a very controlled environment which they can take their time and explore what each adjustment results in. As you get more comfortable with your skills, you can incorporate this into other situations.

p!nK
I agree. Besides, if you're setting the manual functions to get "correct" exposure according to the camera's light meter, you're just wasting your time by shooting in full manual.

What has worked extramly well for me. I started in full auto when i would upload the pic's to the computer i would look at the camera info as what it was sing for settings, then switched over to semi auto doing the same thing, Now im fairly compfortable using manual mode but usually leave in semi as im usually chasing my 6 month old around.

p!nK
I agree. Besides, if you're setting the manual functions to get "correct" exposure according to the camera's light meter, you're just wasting your time by shooting in full manual.

How are you wasting time by getting consistent results? The settings aren't going to change in full manual if your camera meters something different. There's really no downside to exposing properly in manual mode, you just have assurance of exposure consistency. I agree, full manual isn't prime for an entry level user, but something to work towards once the fundamentals are down pat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back