Where to get backdrops for small product photography

GeoActon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Where can I get backdrops for small product photography? Is there an online store that sells them? 24" X 36" would be about right. I'm looking for white and various shades of gray. All I can seem to find are the large rolls.

Hancock Fabric? Michaels? Hobby Lobby" 24 X 36 isn't that big.

You don't define how small a product.

Are you referring to the 53" rolls of seamless paper?

Since the product needs to be at least a couple of feet away from the background, a 53" rolls of seamless paper are just about right for many small products.

I'm photographing small products from the size of lapel pins up to maybe 20" across or so. A 10' backdrop, like what I see on photography product web sites is ungainly for that kind of photography. I checked the web sites you mentioned and what they have is art paper in various colors with widths up to 14" and 12" X 12" scrapbooking paper - not big enough for everything I am shooting. I'm looking for something stiff enough that I can make a curve in it, so I don't have a crease or seam so don't think fabric will do it.

Thanks. The 31" X 43" at Alzo would be workable. The only problem is the price - $65 for one sheet seems excessive.

Go to a fabric store and get white vinyl cut to the size you need it. Have them role it on an empty role, dont fold it.

I'm photographing small products from the size of lapel pins up to maybe 20" across or so. A 10' backdrop, like what I see on photography product web sites is ungainly for that kind of photography. I checked the web sites you mentioned and what they have is art paper in various colors with widths up to 14" and 12" X 12" scrapbooking paper - not big enough for everything I am shooting. I'm looking for something stiff enough that I can make a curve in it, so I don't have a crease or seam so don't think fabric will do it.

A do it yourself hammock frame from PVC works nicely to curve cloth, paper or vinyl backdrops for product shoots. Here is a nice little DIY: Light Box / Light Tent Photo Gallery by Bill Huber at pbase.com

Last edited:
Sheets of colored cardboard/bristol board available for $1.00 at dollar stores. Been using them for years.

Sheets of colored cardboard/bristol board available for $1.00 at dollar stores. Been using them for years.

Not quite a substitute for seamless but if the products are small enough you can shoot from a high enough angle the back seam isn't in the image and the back board is more of a reflector than an element in the image.

Cheers, Don

x2 on the Savage seamless, it's relatively cheap and if you need a smaller piece... CUT IT OFF! Easy :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back