Where's There's Smoke There's Fire!!

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The temperature outside today was unbearable, so I decided to try a redo on the Smoke Tree from the other day, as the blooms are fading fast. This will likely be the last week for them. My session was cut short by a tree that was a little "TO HOT". Apparently there is some truth to the axiom "where's there's smoke there's fire". :allteeth: Enjoy! C&C always appreciated

#1 First sign
Smoke Tree fire06132017_454.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

#2 It's getting warmer
Smoke Tree fire06132017_450.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

#3 I can get one more
Smoke Tree fire06132017_449.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

#4 Time to put it out
Smoke Tree fire06132017_444.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Very interesting and nice shots! I've never heard of this tree before.

Thank you. The American Smoke Tree is native but somewhat similar to the Asian Mimosa. The Smoke Tree though is a lot more hardy, and grows larger. Also unlike the Mimosa that blooms most of the summer, the blooms on the Smoke Tree don't last long.

Very interesting and nice shots! I've never heard of this tree before.

Thank you. The American Smoke Tree is native but somewhat similar to the Asian Mimosa. The Smoke Tree though is a lot more hardy, and grows larger. Also unlike the Mimosa that blooms most of the summer, the blooms on the Smoke Tree don't last long.
Nice. Bizzare

I guess I should explain the shot, lest some believe as they did on social media that the tree actually "smokes". First of all, the smoke was added for theatrical effect at the time of the shot, and is not a composite.

I used a 2" thick by 6" square of floral foam to stick the stems into and arrange. This was then elevated about 6" on a smaller block, so there was overhang all the way around for adjustment. Small balls of rolled up paper towel in a metal pan were first briefly set on fire then blew out so they would smoke. The offset allowed the pan to be slid under the plant, as the smoke rose through the plant it made it look like the smoke was coming up from the plant. If you'll look closely you can actually see the smoke in the blooms.

For lighting I again used my softbox on camera left about 36" away at about 8 o'clock. I first tried a modifier on the light to bring it down to a narrow beam, but the shadows were way to harsh. 180 degrees to the right was a white reflector to add light to the shadows. Behind the plant just out of view was a small LED flashlight, angled up to light the smoke.

Fun project.

Do you need me to come there and kick your can?

LOL. One thing about the foliage and fauna of the woods, is what's here today may not be tomorrow.

FYI, I'm loving the new 70 mm ltd. The color renderings from it are fantastic.

Do you need me to come there and kick your can?

LOL. One thing about the foliage and fauna of the woods, is what's here today may not be tomorrow.

FYI, I'm loving the new 70 mm ltd. The color renderings from it are fantastic.
Yup, I knew that lens was a winner when I read a trusted reviewer on it. A guy over at the Pentax forums.

Very nice. Do you a shot of the actual tree in bloom? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Very nice. Do you a shot of the actual tree in bloom? Just curious to see what it looks like.

I don't have a full shot. It's somewhat boring as the delicate blooms show up more as brown blobs from a distance.

Most reactions

Back