Which 24-70 would you recommend?

Stefana M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I have a nikon d750 and I am looking for a 24 70 mm. I'd use it for small events like baptisms, kids parties, restaurant parties. I wouldn't want to pay 1800€ for a nikon, since I don't do events very often so I'd appreciate some advise about alternatives. Like a 24-70 tamron, sigma?

Thank you

Last edited:
Last edited:
Do you zoom with muscle memory?
If you do, stay away from Sgima. The Sigma zoom ring turns in the opposite direction from Nikon, That drove me NUTS with frustration.
Tamron zoom ring turns in the same direction as Nikon.

How much do you NEED the f/2.8 aperture, vs f/4?
If you are shooting in LOW light, get the f/2.8.
While 1 stop may not seem like much, when you are struggling at the limits in low light, that 1 stop does make a difference.
Example 1/60 sec rather than 1/30. While VR will compensate for YOUR movement, it will not do anything for subject movement, so you still need a shutter speed high enough to freeze subject movement.

Have you considered buying used? One of the advantages of F-mount lenses is that there is a large used market, especially with more people moving to mirrorless. Here in the US, used models in good to excellent condition sell for $600-900, which is less than half the price of a new one.

How much do you NEED the f/2.8 aperture, vs f/4?
If you are shooting in LOW light, get the f/2.8.

This is a very good point. I doubt you will regret paying up for speed. I have the Canon 24-105 f4 L (and I like it very much) but I have toyed with the idea of replacing it with the 24-70 f 2.8 L. You can make a fast lens slower but unfortunately the reverse is not true. Sure, you can bump up the ISO but the bokeh just won't be the same.

Think of it as an investment you only want to make once.

This is a very good point. I doubt you will regret paying up for speed. I have the Canon 24-105 f4 L (and I like it very much) but I have toyed with the idea of replacing it with the 24-70 f 2.8 L. You can make a fast lens slower but unfortunately the reverse is not true. Sure, you can bump up the ISO but the bokeh just won't be the same.

Think of it as an investment you only want to make once.

Fortutnately (or unfortunately) I have both f/2.8 and f/4 lenses (m4/3, 12-40/2.8 and 12-100/4), and ran into just what you said.
In the gym, the 12-100/4 is just too slow. The 12-40/2.8 is barely fast enough. I normally use f/1.8 primes.
Never mind the bokeh, for me it is about high ISO noise. Because of the smooth floor and walls, the high ISO noise is more visible and bothersome in the gym than out on the football field, so I try to keep the ISO down.

But for GP or travel, when I am not shooting wide open, I would rather use a longer lens like your 24-105/4 (or the Nikon 24-120/4) over the shorter 24-70. It delays when I have to switch to a longer lens. thus reducing lens changes.

I normally use f/1.8 primes.
Funny because I've used the 85 f 1.8 in the gym for that reason. I got the R6 during the pandemic so have not been able to use it in the gym yet but I've gotten usable images at 25600 so I'm looking forward to trying it on indoor sports this fall.

Last edited:
Funny because I've used the 85 f 1.8 in the gym for that reason. I got the R6 during the pandemic so have not been able to use it in them gym yet but I've gotten usable images at 25600 so I'm looking forward to trying it on indoor sports this fall.

In the gym, on my Nikon D7200, APS-C, I try to keep to 6400 or below. 12800 is usable but visibly noisy.
With the 35/1.8 I can shoot at 3200.

Many photographers lens buying strategy starts with the trinity of a 12(14)-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 along with a x1.4 teleconverter. The f/2.8 aperture is great for low light situations and for separating your subject from the background. The downside is the glass is relatively big and heavy. That's why many landscape photographers who hike in with their gear go for f/4 glass. Most glass has a sweet spot 1 or 2 stops from wide open, so faster glass has a faster sweet spot compared to slower glass.

I went with the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2 and am getting very good results with it after tuning. DxOMark.com rates the quality of the Tamron equal to the same Nikon lens and the Tamron is $1k less. A general note on 3rd party glass: IF you are willing to test and tune then you can save a fair amount of money and get equivalent or better results compared to OEM glass. IF you are not willing to test and tune, then buy OEM glass.

To save $$ I buy used whenever possible. Personally, I use KEH.com which has a fair rating system, a good return policy and a warranty that can be extended for a price. Adorama.com and MPB.com are good alternatives. I see an EX+ rated Tamron G2 for Nikon at $900. on KEH.com

My favorite zoom when I was shooting with a Nikon was the Sigma 17-70 and I didn't find the reverse zoom to be that much of an issue. This was on a crop sensor so not the lens for you but my advice is to not let that issue keep you away from Sigma. It was a great lens. Best advice has been given above - BUY USED.

Hi guys,
So I have a nikon d750 and I am looking for a 24 70 mm. I'd use it for small events like baptisms, kids parties, restaurant parties. I wouldn't want to pay 1800€ for a nikon, since I don't do events very often so I'd appreciate some advise about alternatives. Like a 24-70 tamron, sigma?

Thank you
You have omitted a most important consideration - what is the end use of your images?

You have omitted a most important consideration - what is the end use of your images?
She did:

"events like baptisms, kids parties, restaurant parties."

Sounds like indoor portraits.

The more I think about it, perhaps two or three f 1.8 primes in this order: 85, 50, 35.

Reactions: ntz
She did:

The more I think about it, perhaps two or three f 1.8 primes in this order: 85, 50, 35.
85 indoors? I think that's tight - can't always zoom out with your feet at a party or church without someone getting in your way. Not a bad choice but I would get the 50 or 35 first and see if more reach was needed. But really she is asking for a zoom recommendation no???

She did:

I think we may have a little disagreement on terminology here. The OP has only described the type of images - by "end use" I'm thinking large prints or just posting low resolution images on social media, either of which would affect a lens recommendation.

Most reactions

Back