Which 50mm 1.4 for D3000?

chrisat0m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I've recently gotten into photography in the last year and have eventually bought myself a Nikon D3000. For an intro camera, I have quickly learned the different functions and have jumped feet first into the manual settings and haven't looked back since. I am looking to buy a new lens and I have my eye set on the Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4. My problem is that I am not sure which one to get as there are AF, G, AF-S, AF-s and probably some other versions I am forgetting. I know that the issue with the D3000 is that there is no focus motor in the body and it has to be in the lens to unlock the AF function; I am fine with that – I am actually looking to get a solid manual focus for artistic shots. My problem is: which lens do I get that is compatible with the D3000 and does not cost more than it should for functions lost with the D3000 (i.e. auto focus)? And if possible, where can I find it for cheap?

If you wan't autofocus, your only option is the AF-S G version of the 50MM F/1.4.

With that said, the AF-D version isn't THAT much cheaper (by about 100 or so bucks).

No, I did not want AF. I want manual focus.

No, I did not want AF. I want manual focus.

No offense, but why? If you want manual focus, then engage the manual focus on your camera. Why needlessly hobble yourself.

If you are deadset on a manual focus only lens, then you're going to have to hit up eBay and see if anyone is selling an AI-S lenses from yesteryear. No 50MM F/1.4 made in the last 20 years (maybe less) is manual focus ONLY.

An AF lens with the AF turned off is exactly the same as a MF lens, you will just get a better, more versatile lens with a newer AF lens, for about the same money as you would spend for an older lens.

why buy a D3000 if you want MF???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back