Which 85mm

I picked up the Nikon 85 1.8G almost two years ago now when Nikon had their $100 instant rebate on them for $397 new, and it will never ever leave my collection. I absolutely love the rendering of this lens. The new Nikon 50 1.8G and the 85 1.8G are frequently talked about as two of the best lenses Nikon has ever made.

Here's a sample photo of a wide open shot from my 85 1.8G.

DSC_7763 by Gary C's Photography, on Flickr

I'm a total newbie....So as the Romans say "consider the source"

I've owned the 1.8d and have the 1.8G. The G might be the most incredible bargain in lenses In the Nikon line. It's incredibly sharp. The only lens that's as good (that I've owned) is the 105mm 2.8VR Macro.

That said...The 1.8D at 2.8 is very good and at f4 it's fantastic. Bokeh is far far better on the G.

Keep your eyes open on CL, a 1.8D can be had (in good shape) for 250.00 if you are patient. 275.00 is an easy buy.

Sales tip from a salesman. Some people have money, lots of it. 1000.00 is like 20 bucks. I bought the G from a rich guy in Tysons Corner ( a wealthy area of the DC metro) for 370.00 - like new. He said " I saw your add and didn't feel like going through all the nonsense of taking pictures of the lens, posting, haggling" He had money and didn't care.

----------------------- Edit ------> I posted then saw the author wasn't from Michigan but Ireland. Don't know what the prices are across the pond :048:

DMV!!!!!!!!! Yes that good price. I got mines in Silver Spring for $400 like new.

Most reactions

Back