Which accessories for my new camera?

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I said before, I just got a Nikon D80 for christmas. :thumbup:

Now what accessories are "necessary" (or close to it) for your guys? This is the list of stuff I'm getting/ will get:

-Polarizing filter (already ordered)
-Back up battery (still searching)
-Camera bag (already ordered)
-Good 4gb memory card (just got)
-New 300mm lens (still searching)

What else am I forgetting? I'd like to get into all types of photography, so throw some ideas out there. Thanks. :p (I'm lucky my parents don't mind getting me all this stuff.)

i'd concentrate on shooting with it first ;)

yep, I finally get to experiment with it since I got my memory card today haha.

WHOAAAA.. take a breather.

Lets back up here for a minute. First, what type of photography do you even plan to shoot primarily. you say all kinds. ok.. 1st problem. 300mm lense get out of your wish list.

2nd, there are no mandatory accesories. Maybe with the exception of it being "nice" to have this or that or a spare of some sort.

The d80, 4gb card, bag(id look into a backpack), and battery are good items to have. if doin alot of shooting, get 2 extra batteries and the accessory grip for the d80, that way you can run 2 batter full juice for like 12 hours or somthing, then have the 1 spare. i highly doubt youll need that much juice though. ive never gone through 2 full batter charges. my 3rd always been a spare.

The new 300mm lense? why? what will this suite you for? you have $5000 to spend on 1 lense?

If so.. dont waiste it on 1. get a couple. With that money, id like to get 70-200 f/2.8, and maybe sigmas 120-300mm f/2.8 to give you a much wider area to shoot.

and you have to realize.. alot of times its not ideal to use a tele lense.

personally id rather get the 24-70, and 70-200 that way i have a well ballance of focal lengths to cover other things.

along with those two lenses, a 35mm f/2.0 and the 50mm f/1.4 for portraits and low light situations.

another thing is. Lighting. grab 1 or 2 sb-800's. if you like flash photog. then grab an additional 1 or 2 SB-600's. save some money there to.

i might be wrong, but your going at it the wrong way.

buy stuff thatll be useful to you and your style. not what "your mommy and daddy will pay for" and what others use for there own style.

and remember, its nice when you get the stuff for free. but why get somthing you find out you dont have use for. get some cheaper stuff till your ready for an upgrade. then take advantage of the free money when you need it the most.

now im also not sure how long youve been shooting for either. so some of my advice might be controdicting.

however,,, for "all types of photography" a 300mm lense is rediculous.

WHOAAAA.. take a breather.

Lets back up here for a minute. First, what type of photography do you even plan to shoot primarily. you say all kinds. ok.. 1st problem. 300mm lense get out of your wish list.

2nd, there are no mandatory accesories. Maybe with the exception of it being "nice" to have this or that or a spare of some sort.

The d80, 4gb card, bag(id look into a backpack), and battery are good items to have. if doin alot of shooting, get 2 extra batteries and the accessory grip for the d80, that way you can run 2 batter full juice for like 12 hours or somthing, then have the 1 spare. i highly doubt youll need that much juice though. ive never gone through 2 full batter charges. my 3rd always been a spare.

The new 300mm lense? why? what will this suite you for? you have $5000 to spend on 1 lense?

If so.. dont waiste it on 1. get a couple. With that money, id like to get 70-200 f/2.8, and maybe sigmas 120-300mm f/2.8 to give you a much wider area to shoot.

and you have to realize.. alot of times its not ideal to use a tele lense.

personally id rather get the 24-70, and 70-200 that way i have a well ballance of focal lengths to cover other things.

along with those two lenses, a 35mm f/2.0 and the 50mm f/1.4 for portraits and low light situations.

another thing is. Lighting. grab 1 or 2 sb-800's. if you like flash photog. then grab an additional 1 or 2 SB-600's. save some money there to.

i might be wrong, but your going at it the wrong way.

buy stuff thatll be useful to you and your style. not what "your mommy and daddy will pay for" and what others use for there own style.

and remember, its nice when you get the stuff for free. but why get somthing you find out you dont have use for. get some cheaper stuff till your ready for an upgrade. then take advantage of the free money when you need it the most.

now im also not sure how long youve been shooting for either. so some of my advice might be controdicting.

however,,, for "all types of photography" a 300mm lense is rediculous.

You won't spend $5000 for a 300mm, see his other thread.

I would also get a tripod which hasn't been mentioned.

I would have gotten 2 2gb cards instead of putting all your pictures on one card just to be safe, but you could always buy another back up card. But yeah as others have said go out and shoot and see what you need afterwards.

You just got the thing. Don't get anything. Shoot with it...and get good pictures.

When you get a job, then you should get some stuff for it.

Relax, Shoot around with the D80 and see what you enjoy. If you do portraits you might want a flash. If you do the nature thing, maybe a macro lens. Don't waste your money now and things you may not enjoy. I have a 300mm f4 and i rarely use it.

If you absolutely need to buy a new lens, 50 mm 1.8 all the way.

I would have gotten 2 2gb cards instead of putting all your pictures on one card just to be safe
Hmm, guess that is a good idea. It's too late now I guess, but I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
You just got the thing. Don't get anything. Shoot with it...and get good pictures.

When you get a job, then you should get some stuff for it.
Yeah, it's time I start takin my camera places to take pics.
Relax, Shoot around with the D80 and see what you enjoy. If you do portraits you might want a flash. If you do the nature thing, maybe a macro lens. Don't waste your money now and things you may not enjoy. I have a 300mm f4 and i rarely use it.

If you absolutely need to buy a new lens, 50 mm 1.8 all the way.
Thanks. I heard the 50mm 1.8 and the 1.4 are good lenses, I suppose I can save up for the 1.4 in the future.

Or you could just have your laptop handy (if you have one) and load all the pictures on there as a back up. I can't imagine being at a shoot and having something go wrong with the memory card:confused:

Noone can tell you what you need. I agree witht he others who say shoot around a while and you might figure out a need that should be filled. Too many noobs (not saying that you are one) run right out and buy pieces of gear that they may regret as a wasted purchase later on.

Just shoot what you've got for a few months. Make the most out of your limitations. Learn everything you can with what you've got. THEN buy new gear.

Most reactions

Back