Which Camera for Snowboarding?

nos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need a camera that will be able to take nice pictures on slopes while snowboarding. Pro camera Canon EOS 5D is way too big for taking it with me and ultra-portable Sony T100 can't take all the scale of mountains(((
So I need the maximum quality with a relatively small size.
Any ideas???

Budget? Do you want a DSLR? None of them are like a compact camera, although there are many smaller than the 5D. Do you want multiple lenses seeing how size is an issue?
Nikon has a young man on their shooters that is a snowboarder.
Weatherproofing is probably going to be an issue for you? You'll need to be careful of the condensation issues going in and out of the cold with a camera, so I'd steer clear of the entry level DSLR's-which pushes you back up in size.
I am almost wondering if maybe a bridge camera would fit what you need? Are you looking to shoot professionally or as an avid hobbyist or is this just to capture what you see while snow boarding?
Tell us about the use of the camera-are you going to use it to manually create the photo or do you want it to be able to point and shoot? Is it going to be exposed to the cold an damp conditions that occur with snow sports for prolonged periods of time?
You also need to think about how the cold affects battery life...

Get a 7D! I havn't used one myself, but I've ears that they're great for sports!

I'm going snowboarding this season and had this exact predicament in the run up to Xmas. Ultimately my final choice was the 'Replay XD 1080', basically because it is the smallest and lightest action cam around at the minute. I've only played around with it at home at the minute with some great results.... Cant wait to take it away!

Replay XD

Parents purchased mine from PurelyGagdets as it was the only retailer in the UK I found stocking them.

I like the old Nikon L35 AWAF because it is a very robust, waterproof and hence spindrift-proof camera that you can forget about until you want to use it - so you can sling it over your shoulder and it is ready to go, no matter what the conditions, and it doesn't get in your way at all. It is a film camera, however. The nearest digital equivalent might be the Nikon AW100. I think that you should forget the idea that camera size has something to do with ability to 'take in the scale of the mountains'. Many great mountain pictures have been taken with tiny, lightweight cameras - mountaineers and ski mountaineers are way too sensible to carry big cameras around most of the time.

...mountaineers and ski mountaineers are way too sensible to carry big cameras around most of the time.

That is correct. They get photogs for that :lmao:

To the OP = How about a Pentax K-5? Unless things have changed it is the best priced DSLR you can find which is weather sealed.

...mountaineers and ski mountaineers are way too sensible to carry big cameras around most of the time.

That is correct. They get photogs for that :lmao:

Hmm. I was thinking more about photographers who also happened to be mountaineers or ski-mountaineers.

8330128-lg.jpg

15009194-lg.jpg

Most reactions

Back