Which camera is right for me?

IBIubbleTea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, This is my first post and I need some help choosing my first DSLR camera. I'm looking for a camera that will last me a long time until I need to replace it. Maybe 5+ years if that's possible. I have been looking at Canon T5i and the Nikon D5300 for my choices. I already own a Lexar Professional SDHC Class 10 card. I'm planning on doing pictures and videos in "In door light", I'm guessing that's called low light... and later outdoor shooting when I get better with DSLRs. Also what lens should I be getting for these tasks. I don't really want to buy 2+ lens because the price adds up really quickly.

Just something that will give me excellent video and picture quality.

Thanks.

You should be able to get a D7000 for the same price. You can in NZ anyway.

First, I wouldn't base my camera purchase decision based on what kind of memory card you already have. That's like basing your shoe decision on what kind of socks you own.

Second, what's your budget? What kind of shooting do you want to do? Will this be a casual use camera or are you looking to get seriously involved with the hobby?

My main points...
(Over the d5300) it kills the T5i

1st - the build qulaity and the extra control
2nd - 2 SD Card slots instead of 1
3rd - Built in focus motor
4th - 100% view finder coverage
5th - twice the battery life
6th - weather sealed (not an issue for some)

For me the only thing your gaining is Megapixels, which anyone here will tell you is not that important. Obviously the D5300 makes some really nice images with its sensor but so does the D7000, Also the D7000 will last you alot longer when it comes to progressing in your photography, youll feel the need to upgrade sooner with the control of the D5300.

Yep the D5300 is the better camera out of the two, it has a much better sensor.
The sensor on the t5i while still capable is old and shows its age, its the same sensor that they had in the old t2i
If money is not a problem then by all means get the D5300 but if no then the D5200 in many ways is identical to the D5200 and I think I would get it simply because of the price difference.

First, I wouldn't base my camera purchase decision based on what kind of memory card you already have. That's like basing your shoe decision on what kind of socks you own.

Second, what's your budget? What kind of shooting do you want to do? Will this be a casual use camera or are you looking to get seriously involved with the hobby?

I know that, Just saying that I already own a SD card.

-I think my budget is around $800CAD.
-I kind of want to learn about photography and such. Pictures I will be taking are family pictures, closes up of my gaming PC, food :p, outdoor street pictures. Some of everything I guess....
-Not quite sure, In the middle if that makes any sense

Yep the D5300 is the better camera out of the two, it has a much better sensor.
The sensor on the t5i while still capable is old and shows its age, its the same sensor that they had in the old t2i
If money is not a problem then by all means get the D5300 but if no then the D5200 in many ways is identical to the D5200 and I think I would get it simply because of the price difference.

What lens should I get if I were to purchase the D5300. I heard the 18-55mm lens suck. Looking for a good all around lens, close and middle shots for videos and pictures.

Apparently the Tamron 18-200 Di II is ok...

What lens should I get if I were to purchase the D5300. I heard the 18-55mm lens suck. Looking for a good all around lens, close and middle shots for videos and pictures.
Nikon 18-55mm VR sucks ?
No it doesnt suck, its a good lens to start your photography if you are on a tight budget but obviously there are much better lenses out there.
What lens to buy is more a matter of what you are looking for.
One lens is not enough to do everything.
For general use you can for for the Nikon 18-105mm VR or the Nikon 18-140mm VR.
These 2 lenses are kit lenses are are relatively good and affordable.
To that I would suggest getting the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for indoor photography, low light is what it does well and is good for portraits, very affordable lens and super sharp, much sharper then the kit lens I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Apparently the Tamron 18-200 Di II is ok...

About the D7000. I don't think it is a good option because of the LCD screen. I would like it to flip out has it makes recording videos much easier. Maybe just stick with D5300 vs T5i?

If its between those two the D5300 kills the Canon in this case. Go D5300

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd go with the d5300, it's a good DSLR, one of the hightest performance entry level cameras you can buy

I like to refer people to www.snapsort.com it gives you cut and dry comparisons that are really helpful when looking for unbiased information

Most reactions

New Topics

Back