Which camera to buy?

If you can afford the d5200 take that one, but not with the 55 - 200mm lens i tried it a few days ago in store as was attached to the test model of the 5200 and i didn't like that lens at all. I really did like the auto focus on the 5200. I bought the d5100 for the reason of having a flip out screen as i photograph the sun through a telescope (With correct solar and hydrogen alpha filters) and have found this flip out screen has been needed a lot more than i thought it would be especially for video use of filming family events.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the d5200 over the d3200 is the flip out screen. Is that ridiculous? Seeing as how I have no first hand experience, I don't know if I would use it, but I like the idea of perception shots. Up high, down low, I don't know, different than normal. But hey, again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

As for the classifieds, I'd love to buy used, just don't have the cash at the moment. That is why I'm looking at financing.

Another thing I didn't mention, I'm going to try and NOT make this an obsessive hobby. I spend far too much on my motorcycles, my trucks, my tools, my electronics, etc to afford another high dollar addiction...at least for a while. I'm going to attempt to stay rather entry level until I find out if it really is my thing. So I don't think I'll be dropping thousands on glass or accessories or anything.

Personally, I'm not big on an articulated screen (like with the D5100 and D5200). I don't use that screen to focus with and I see it as one more thing that could go wrong or easily break or snag on clothing. Those curmudgeonly things noted, the single biggest benefit to the articulated screen is for macro photography. Let's suppose you want to shoot an insect at ground level. Even if you get down on your chest you're still not going to be ground level. But you can put the camera there (or in some twisty/bendy location you can't get your head in to) and use the articulated screen to help you see what your camera sees (and focus accordingly). So that's a big plus for people who need that shooting flexibility.

You asked for other shooting equipment:
1. The 55-200mm zoom has VR--or vibration reduction. That's a huge plus for a new shooter b/c it reduces jiggle on your part and your pictures may be sharper.
2. You'll need a bag or way to carry all of this new loot. There are a gazillion of them out there. Go to best buy and try on a Lowepro sling...there are plenty at a low (no pun intended) price that can handle one body and two lens. See how it fits you and if that's how you'd use it. B/c the best camera is the one you have with you...and if you aren't comfortable lugging it around, it's going to be back in your hotel room or your home office when you're see that really incredible photo opportunity and think "if only I had my camera...."
3. Polarizing filter...cuts out glare, makes colors more alive, the sky will pop out in your photos...really essential for shooting outdoors or around anyplace (the water on a sunny day) that has a lot of glare.
4. Extra SD cards and an extra battery.
5. Cleaning supplies. A blower and a microfibre clothing are mandatory.
6. Your camera will come with a manual. Read it twice (cover to cover) as you start playing with it. Then...read a book not written by Nikon about your Nikon. Not b/c Canon or Nikon can't publish manuals. But a book by someone not beholden to Nikon (or Canon) will offer opinions on settings and options that your manual will not. Your camera will have more options and features than you will ever possibly use (that's true with any photographer, even the pros). But start by learning about what your camera can do and get a handle on it. It will also expand your creativity as you learn about...rear curtain sync...FPS....white balance....shooting modes...and start to experiment with them all. You can find a bunch of options on Amazon for books about Nikon bodies.
7. A speed light. Since the D5200 doesn't have commander mode, you're better off getting a Nikon speed light that will work either on your camera or tethered to your camera than something like a YN-460 that would be a slave. And while you're at it, buy a cheap soft box and light stand.

As for manuals etc I would suggest Nikon XXXX For Dummies series on Amazon, last time a checked there was a book for every Nikon model. Well written, very detailed, illustrated and much easier to read than a manual.

Okay, so no go on the Canons.
While I agree with the Nikon recommendation in this case; it's not nearly as one-sided as some would have you believe.

The Canon's generally have faster auto-focus (except in low light), they generally focus better with the sun behind your target, they generally have higher frames-per-second, and a cache that sustains that fps rate longer. They generally make jpeg's 1/2 the size (despite having 2/3rds the resolution), and all the lenses will work (Nikon DSLR's cannot take pre-AI lenses without workshop modifications, and the focus mechanisms on many of the older Nikon's require an Af motor on the Camera to operate, which the 3xxx and 5xxx don't have).

ISO, f-stops, dynamic range, etc. I understand FPS when shooting both video and pics. I'd like to think I'll take some pics at the races, so the 5fps would trump the 4fps, but how significant is 1fps? More focus points seem like a good thing. What about auto focus? I'm assuming neither have built in focus motors? Is that going to cripple me in the beginning?
More ISO better (scale is logarithmic, so doubling and halving). More Dynamic Range is better (scale in EV is linear, so +/- 1ev is the same jump as a doubling / halving of ISO), Only you can answer how significant a 24% jump in fps is, but realize that you cannot maintain either rate for more than a second or two.

The D5200 has far more AF points, and more metering pixels (used to measure light accurately) and is the better camera.

And no: you aren't silly for caring about a flip screen. Ergonomics is often more decisive in how happy you are than the other factors between the numerous fine cameras from the major manufacturers.

You'll only miss the built-in AF motor, I think, if you are going to be hunting through older lenses. As I understand it, the modern Nikon lenses all have built-in AF motors (like Canon does). but I cannot swear to that.

Figured I would drop an update. I've been buying/selling a couple cameras off craigslist so I can get a chance to toy with some and see what I like.

I bought a DSLR wannabe in the Sony NEX 5. For a point and shoot, it was cool. But slow, and a pain to use the menu for all of the features.

A Nikon d3100 w/ the standard 18-55mm lens, a macro attachment, a cheap ultra zoom lens 600-1350mm, tripod, and remote control. This is pretty cool, but I really wish it had the articulating screen. I'm going to do some more playing, but I picked it up pretty cheap, so likely I'll flip it and make some money on it.

I've been trying to do some reading and seems that everyone suggests the d7100. I know I don't need it now, I guess I would rather have something I can grow into rather than out of. I do wish they had the articulating screen. If I can snag one for a good price used, I may do that. In the meantime, I will keep playing with this 3100. Maybe I'll snag a few pics and post them.

Does everyone use Flickr? Or photobucket? What is the standard sharing platform amongst photographers?

Well, I've been using the Nikon this last week for work stuff. It takes really nice pictures, it is relatively easy to use. However, I REALLY wish that I had the articulating screen. I often take pictures over fences, into the sun, etc. I also wish it did geo tagging. I have to keep track of the houses I go to. Previously I just used my iPhone which has geo tagging, but lacks quality. Wifi would be cool too so I didn't have to plug it in every time I get home to upload photos.

On those notes, while I'm looking for another camera, I don't know which direction to go. I think the articulating screen will be a deal breaker on the next one. That being said, I don't think the D7100 will be in the hat. The new D5300 kit w/ the 18-140 lens would be perfect for what I use it for work. I have read poor things about that lens in terms of overall quality though. That model has built in wifi and does geo tagging though.

Should I go back to considering a Canon? Or maybe even throw Pentax or Olympus in the mix? I like the D5300 but the $1000+ pricetag isn't very welcoming for what most people consider an entry level camera barely better than my d3100. The used market is still pretty slim too.

I'd go for the Canon T3i. Instead of giving you usual opinion of technical concepts, this is my experience. I'd much rather going for the entry level DSLR instead of the mid Level one. So if I am comparing the Canon T3i and Canon 60D, I'd choose the T3i. When you go down your photography journey you'll most likely going to upgrade later on, so if you brought a mid-level camera you are kind of stuck in the middle, on the other hand if you choose the entry level camera at the beginning you'll have no hesitation to upgrade later on. I used to own a Canon 40D and I finally upgraded to Canon 5D Mark ii a few years down the road. It was a hard decision to make. Not to say gear is more important than skills but if one day you need to sell all your entry level camera gears for a full frame camera update, your life will be much easier.

You can check my resources page if you need more details: http://www.thephotographyexpress.com/resources/

Hope this helps!

I'm a Canon guy. Therefore I recommend a D3200. :lol: But really, Derrel hit it on the head. With a large, large shovel. Repeatedly.

I'm not sure If you guys read into the thread or just based the replies off my first post. I bought a second hand d3100. Not exactly the same as the d3200, but enough so for me to figure out that the lack of an articulating screen is a deal breaker on my next buy, which may or may not be soon depending on what sort of deal I can come across. I'm also missing the geo tagging function that I get with my phone.

The T3i is on my list of things to consider, but only if I come across a deal I can't pass up on a used one. It isn't really much better than the d3100 I have now, with the exception of the articulating screen and a couple more MP.

Honestly, I'm not aspiring to be a professional photographer. I've seen fantastic photos taken with point and shoots that I couldn't even come close to matching the quality of now. So I feel if I buy into a mid grade camera, I'd probably be well beyond my realm of understanding for quite a while. I'm not taking classes or being shown the ropes. I'm self teaching as I go. Someday I'd like to take cool pics that other people like, but really I have no intention of making money with it or anything like that.

I'm not sure If you guys read into the thread or just based the replies off my first post. I bought a second hand d3100. Not exactly the same as the d3200, but enough so for me to figure out that the lack of an articulating screen is a deal breaker on my next buy, which may or may not be soon depending on what sort of deal I can come across. I'm also missing the geo tagging function that I get with my phone.

The T3i is on my list of things to consider, but only if I come across a deal I can't pass up on a used one. It isn't really much better than the d3100 I have now, with the exception of the articulating screen and a couple more MP.

Honestly, I'm not aspiring to be a professional photographer. I've seen fantastic photos taken with point and shoots that I couldn't even come close to matching the quality of now. So I feel if I buy into a mid grade camera, I'd probably be well beyond my realm of understanding for quite a while. I'm not taking classes or being shown the ropes. I'm self teaching as I go. Someday I'd like to take cool pics that other people like, but really I have no intention of making money with it or anything like that.

I would look at the Sony A65 if you are looking at a t3i. Here is a comparison

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Sony-A65

I'm not really looking at the T3i unless I find a used one dirt cheap. I'll keep my eye out for a Sony though. I've got an NEX-5 that is okay, but I'm selling it because it just isn't what I want. Maybe their actual DSLRs would be better. I've never had the chance to play with one and don't know anywhere that sells them locally for me to try out.

Alright, so I traded off my d3100 for a Sony a55 with a couple extra lenses. I really like the flip out screen, but I'm not thrilled with the EVF. Also, this camera feels cheap in comparison. The stock sony lens feels especially cheap. The two minolta lenses I got with it feel great, but I'm a noob so a 50mm 1.7 and a 35-70mm w/macro are beyond my knowledge as to how to use to their potential.

So here I am flaking again. Thinking about selling this Sony off. I know originally we had said no to Canon, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to try one out. I found one for $750 with an 18-135mm and a 55-250mm with some other extras. I'd really like to snag a Nikon d5300 with the 18-140mm, but that $1100 price tag is just too much.

Alright, so I traded off my d3100 for a Sony a55 with a couple extra lenses. I really like the flip out screen, but I'm not thrilled with the EVF. Also, this camera feels cheap in comparison. The stock sony lens feels especially cheap. The two minolta lenses I got with it feel great, but I'm a noob so a 50mm 1.7 and a 35-70mm w/macro are beyond my knowledge as to how to use to their potential.

So here I am flaking again. Thinking about selling this Sony off. I know originally we had said no to Canon, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to try one out. I found one for $750 with an 18-135mm and a 55-250mm with some other extras. I'd really like to snag a Nikon d5300 with the 18-140mm, but that $1100 price tag is just too much.

Anything with a plastic body is going to have a cheap feel IMO. That is why i spent a little more on the A77 with a magnesium body. I love the camera it does everything i need and and has some awesome features that only come on other brands high end bodies. I recommended the A65 to you to keep you in your price range. But if you are looking for something more definitely look at the A77. I would mess around with the 55 for awhile and see what you do and don't like about it. In the mean time save up some money and when you start looking for a different body you will know what you do and don't want. Then you will have to decide what brand can give you everything you are looking for whether it be Nikon Canon Sony or who ever. Just try not to be in such a hurry to get something and you will wind up with a camera you really like.

I'm a Canon guy. Therefore I recommend a D3200. :lol: But really, Derrel hit it on the head. With a large, large shovel. Repeatedly.

Somebody gave Derrel a shovel? Geez. What were you people thinking?!?! Ok, nobody panic. You grab the nets, I'll break out the tranquilizer gun. Sheesh.

Anything with a plastic body is going to have a cheap feel IMO. That is why i spent a little more on the A77 with a magnesium body. I love the camera it does everything i need and and has some awesome features that only come on other brands high end bodies. I recommended the A65 to you to keep you in your price range. But if you are looking for something more definitely look at the A77. I would mess around with the 55 for awhile and see what you do and don't like about it. In the mean time save up some money and when you start looking for a different body you will know what you do and don't want. Then you will have to decide what brand can give you everything you are looking for whether it be Nikon Canon Sony or who ever. Just try not to be in such a hurry to get something and you will wind up with a camera you really like.

I'm not terribly patient. I have also found out that playing with the cameras in stores is nothing like buying it then playing with it. That is why I'm searching for used stuff at good prices. The Nikon D3100 I bought felt much more sturdy than this A55. I'm still toying with it, but I'm having a hard time talking myself into liking it. The only thing I do like about it so far is the flip out screen. Ergonomics don't work for me, lens feels cheap, menu interface feels point and shoot like, EVF is awful. Image quality doesn't seem to be as good as the d3100 either, but that would probably be the lens being the issue, not the body. I can't figure out how to work the other lenses yet.

Basically, I need to buy and try a Canon now. Though I'm going to give this Sony another couple days until I decide to sell/trade for sure.

Most reactions

Back