Which camera to buy?

jtyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this has been asked thousands of times, but I'm here to do it again. Situation dictates what I can get, because it will be financed through a family member. I'm self employed and can't qualify on my own. They want me to go through Conn's. Not my first choice, but hey, they are doing me a favor, so it is what it is. Normally I'd save and buy a used camera for cash, but I want something before I leave to Colorado this weekend, and I can't come up with the money in time.

I'm totally new to all this. I have a general understanding of simple concepts, but I am no photography expert. I'm intending to use the camera for landscape type shots while I'm on road trips, to take pictures of the items I sell, and of course family functions and such. I don't think I'll be doing much video, but I wouldn't mind having the capability. I'd like to have something that won't be obsolete next month.

Here are the cameras I'm considering. I've looked at Snap Sort and seen specs and such, but I know that should be taken with a grain of salt because there are more things to consider than specs.

Nikon D3200 w/ 18-55mm lens - $500
Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens - $650
Nikon D5200 w/18-55mm lens - $800
Nikon D5200 w/18-55mm and 55-200mm vibration reduction lenses - $950
Canon 60D w/18-135mm lens - $1300

Of course I'd like to save money, but I don't want to price myself into a model that is on it's way out the door. I like the idea of having a flip out screen for odd shots above my head or on the ground. I'm fairly sure I'd like to have a telephoto lens, but I don't know if it is something that is a necessity for the cost at this point. Also don't know the quality of the lenses that come in these kits. I've read online that none of these have WIFI, but Nikon has an adapter that can be used to transfer pics to my phone. Not sure if that would be useful or not.

Anyway, what can you guys tell me? I have no brand preference because I have no experience. Also, any necessary accessories? Obviously need a good quality SD card. What about filters, lens hoods, etc?

I appreciate your patience and knowledge! Hopefully I can pick up a camera tomorrow or Thursday!

I know this has been asked thousands of times, but I'm here to do it again. Situation dictates what I can get, because it will be financed through a family member. I'm self employed and can't qualify on my own. They want me to go through Conn's. Not my first choice, but hey, they are doing me a favor, so it is what it is. Normally I'd save and buy a used camera for cash, but I want something before I leave to Colorado this weekend, and I can't come up with the money in time.

I'm totally new to all this. I have a general understanding of simple concepts, but I am no photography expert. I'm intending to use the camera for landscape type shots while I'm on road trips, to take pictures of the items I sell, and of course family functions and such. I don't think I'll be doing much video, but I wouldn't mind having the capability. I'd like to have something that won't be obsolete next month.

Here are the cameras I'm considering. I've looked at Snap Sort and seen specs and such, but I know that should be taken with a grain of salt because there are more things to consider than specs.

Nikon D3200 w/ 18-55mm lens - $500
Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens - $650
Nikon D5200 w/18-55mm lens - $800
Nikon D5200 w/18-55mm and 55-200mm vibration reduction lenses - $950
Canon 60D w/18-135mm lens - $1300

Of course I'd like to save money, but I don't want to price myself into a model that is on it's way out the door. I like the idea of having a flip out screen for odd shots above my head or on the ground. I'm fairly sure I'd like to have a telephoto lens, but I don't know if it is something that is a necessity for the cost at this point. Also don't know the quality of the lenses that come in these kits. I've read online that none of these have WIFI, but Nikon has an adapter that can be used to transfer pics to my phone. Not sure if that would be useful or not.

Anyway, what can you guys tell me? I have no brand preference because I have no experience. Also, any necessary accessories? Obviously need a good quality SD card. What about filters, lens hoods, etc?

I appreciate your patience and knowledge! Hopefully I can pick up a camera tomorrow or Thursday!

I wrote this as a response to this question. Hopefully, it will help you

Photography 101: ERMERGERD! I want to buy a DSLR!

I would get the D3200 and start with that. It has a 24 MP sensor. It's a Nikon. It has a better, newer, higher resolution, better color, and wider dynamic range sensor than the ANY Canon APS-C body. Period. And...it's affordable.

Dang you Derrel and your Nikons!

He's right though. Even the D3200 beats out Canon's 70D, the best and newest sensor on the market for crop sensor Canons.

If you're interested, KEH has the D5200 used for about $500. That would leave you with some room for some nice glass

The main reason I'm leaning towards the d5200 over the d3200 is the flip out screen. Is that ridiculous? Seeing as how I have no first hand experience, I don't know if I would use it, but I like the idea of perception shots. Up high, down low, I don't know, different than normal. But hey, again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

As for the classifieds, I'd love to buy used, just don't have the cash at the moment. That is why I'm looking at financing.

Another thing I didn't mention, I'm going to try and NOT make this an obsessive hobby. I spend far too much on my motorcycles, my trucks, my tools, my electronics, etc to afford another high dollar addiction...at least for a while. I'm going to attempt to stay rather entry level until I find out if it really is my thing. So I don't think I'll be dropping thousands on glass or accessories or anything.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the d5200 over the d3200 is the screen. Is that ridiculous? Seeing as how I have no first hand experience, I don't know if I would use it, but I like the idea of perception shots. Up high, down low, I don't know, different than normal. But hey, again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

As for the classifieds, I'd love to buy used, just don't have the cash at the moment. That is why I'm looking at financing.

Another thing I didn't mention, I'm going to try and NOT make this an obsessive hobby. I spend far too much on my motorcycles, my trucks, my tools, my electronics, etc to afford another high dollar addiction...at least for a while. I'm going to attempt to stay rather entry level until I find out if it really is my thing. So I don't think I'll be dropping thousands on glass or accessories or anything.

Well really either the 3200 or 5200 would probably suit you just fine, I'd start with just the camera and basic lens (18-55) and stay with that for a while. If you decide you need more capabilities you can always add them later, no real hurry there.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the d5200 over the d3200 is the flip out screen. Is that ridiculous? Seeing as how I have no first hand experience, I don't know if I would use it, but I like the idea of perception shots. Up high, down low, I don't know, different than normal. But hey, again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you have a computer, consider tethering (i.e. hooking the camera up to the computer for shots, especially if you have a laptop). IMO, purchasing a better quality screen over a cheaper option for a hobby that is expensive is not the way to go. Spend the money on the glass.

Hahaha. That's what I said. You won't believe the stuff you'll get (or want to get)

All the cameras on your list will be able to produce good pictures.
If money is really tight then the Nikon D3200 will do just fine for you.
If you can go a bit higher then I would say get the D5200, its one step above the D3200 and has the flip screen.
The Canon t3i and Canon t5i are good cameras but its sensor (they have the same 18MP sensor) is getting old and shows its age, sensors in the Nikon cameras are much better and more modern.

Dude, you should listen to Derrel. He personally knows Nik Canon and was runner up on Americas Got Talent......oopsie.

Actually owns or owned both Nikons and Canons and did a duet with Mariah Carey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so no go on the Canons. Now between the 3200 and 5200, are there any differences that make a difference other than the screen? Looking at snap sort the comparison makes the d5200 look better in many aspects, but the numbers mean nothing to me. ISO, f-stops, dynamic range, etc. I understand FPS when shooting both video and pics. I'd like to think I'll take some pics at the races, so the 5fps would trump the 4fps, but how significant is 1fps? More focus points seem like a good thing. What about auto focus? I'm assuming neither have built in focus motors? Is that going to cripple me in the beginning?

I think the 5200 has significantly more AF points. And 1 fps probably isn't a noticeable thing. I would check out to see if the buffer (i.e. number of consecutive images taken during a continuous mode) is a deal breaker. Just for the record T3 sucks. 3 images, and it was awful.

Yeah according to snap sort the 5200 has 39 focus points vs the 3200 with 11. As for the continuous shooting, I'm not sure if holding it in my hand and trying it on people walking through a store would be a real test to bury all tests. Plus, I'm the weakest link, regardless of the camera.

Okay, so no go on the Canons. Now between the 3200 and 5200, are there any differences that make a difference other than the screen? Looking at snap sort the comparison makes the d5200 look better in many aspects, but the numbers mean nothing to me. ISO, f-stops, dynamic range, etc. I understand FPS when shooting both video and pics. I'd like to think I'll take some pics at the races, so the 5fps would trump the 4fps, but how significant is 1fps? More focus points seem like a good thing. What about auto focus? I'm assuming neither have built in focus motors? Is that going to cripple me in the beginning?

The 5200 has a better autofocus system. The shooting speed is a little faster but most likely for what your doing it won't make a huge difference to you. Most likely the two biggest differences will be the articulating screen and the D5200 will do in camera HDR, which can be very nice for landscapes in particular. Only real question is are these features worth the price difference to you personally.

The 5200 has a better autofocus system. The shooting speed is a little faster but most likely for what your doing it won't make a huge difference to you. Most likely the two biggest differences will be the articulating screen and the D5200 will do in camera HDR, which can be very nice for landscapes in particular. Only real question is are these features worth the price difference to you personally.

I have no first hand experience with HDR beyond that in my cell phone. So, in your experience, in camera, does it make much difference?

I'm all for saving money. But I know that in other hobbies, as well as important purchases, I have skimped and bought what I thought would be enough, only to find myself two weeks down the line wishing I would have bought the next model up. Serious difference in price, but I'm not sure if I should go for it.

Another thing I didn't mention, I'm going to try and NOT make this an obsessive hobby... I'm going to attempt to stay rather entry level until I find out if it really is my thing. So I don't think I'll be dropping thousands on glass or accessories or anything.

Then you need to buy a good affordable camera kit ( I also suggest Nikon 3200 and 18-55 mm), enjoy it and NEVER EVER read photorgraphy forums again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back