Which camera to buy?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Montenegrin1919, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:00 AM.

1. Montenegrin1919

Montenegrin1919 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all! I'm looking for some travel camera that i can put in my pocket and that is waterproof. It will be used ONLY for photos. I was thinking bettwean GO Pro hero 7 black and Olympus TG-5 or 6. You are free to give me other recommendations. Thanks. You can also recommend me some no-waterproof travel cameras :)

2. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the TG5 - its OK, lots of features, great macro capability, but let down by its tiny sensor.

GoPro are not good for stills

I'd recommend a 1 inch sensor waterproof camera for stills:

SealLife - nice bright lens and 1 inch sensor
    Sony RX0 - small, 1 inch sensor, but not the best handling

3. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds daft but I bought my g kids a drop proof water proof point and shoot and they are getting some good results. May be worth a look at kids cameras. I have the canon g9 that’s not bad, getting old and worn now as it’s used everywhere I don’t want to take my DSLR eg on the beach in the rain lol

4. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Waterproofs are great and I have one for snorkeling, but they are limited to about 140 mm (35mm field of view) with optical zoom, which is a killer for me in a travel camera. The TG-6 is limited to 100mm equivalent.

I use a non waterproof Nikon S9900 as my backup and pocket camera on trips. It is discontinued but the current model is the Nikon A900. It has a 1/2.3 sensor, which is just a little bit better than a cell phone, but it has a good 35x optical zoom lens which gives much better images when you zoom in. It has P S A M modes but only takes JPEG images (which are actually pretty good).

A 1" sensor is clearly better, but you pay more and give up zoom capability. For travel, I would pick the Panansonic Lumix DC-ZS100 (24-250 mm equivalent) or the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (24-360 mm equivalent). They are not waterproof but have excellent features and take both raw and JPEG images. If you really want to impress your friends, you can get a Lieca C-Lux, but it is essentially a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 with a sexy body and a little bit better color quality. It is only about $300 more.