Which camera to extend with extra body...?

paul'dee'dowling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been acquiring entry level digital cameras rather then adding lenses .
Not such a good idea, but my autistic glitch hates letting go.
I am considering another updated body for one of three cameras-

Pentax K10d [early adoption to use manual lenses ] , my main system - Sony A35 [ primarily to use Minolta lenses with a 35mm f1.8 Sony added ] , or Panasonic G1 [ex-dem for compactness and to use old Rokors, especially the 135mm f3.5 on infinity ]-
It would be Pentax K50/500 , Sony A58 , or a 4/3rd camera of some kind.

I miss the Pentax two dial system for manual use with a 50mm f1.7, plus I have realised that I still favour the continuity of SLR viewing ... it is however bulky and heavy .
I like the ability to add third party lenses to a 4/3rds camera, but am less content with using an EVF.
I have more Minolta lenses for the A35, so an inexpensive A38 would create a second body for the 35mm f1.8....again, the EVF is still a touch unnerving with ASD which like sameness and continuity.

I am tempted by the Pentax body, but would need to add a 35mm at some stage as I prefer a nom 50mm prime as main lens.

It's a conundrum.

dee

I suspect that this is something that it would be very difficult for someone advise you on, however, of the choices listed, my preference would be for the Pentax, if, for no other reason than because I think they are the best overall bang for the buck (and always have been), and I would rather have a Pentax than a Sony or Panasonic.

Thanks,tired iron,it was the twin dial system on a lighter Pentax body which really appealed , especially as I have the standard zoom and a 50mm prime.
It just seems a revisit to a camera system abandoned in favour of Sony and my Minolta 35-80 which saw such sterling service back in the 90s, especially as I like the crop factor of nom 48-120.
I guess the Pentax it might be if finances work out [ the A58 body is cheapest !! ]
dee

If the prices are affordable, why not just buy both? That would probably better satisfy that side of you that likes to collect! Older generation model d-slr's are pretty chap in many cases...might be worth it to just have both options.

If the prices are affordable, why not just buy both? That would probably better satisfy that side of you that likes to collect! Older generation model d-slr's are pretty chap in many cases...might be worth it to just have both options.

I also have a very basic very plastic Sony A290 which is OK, but caused me to miss the DSLR viewpoint.
Sony have abandoned DSLR , so I guess Pentax will be my way forward... still like a cheap body upgrade with the A58 before Sony go all mirror less .
I guess @ 68 and weaned on Minolta SRT/XD7 with 50mm lenses, that I am old school about divi-boxes !!

For the record, I was working with entry level stuff (DSLRs and compacts) too, until I realized that if I had actually spent my money at once instead keeping buying slightly better cameras every iteration I was unhappy with the previous one, I could have gotten a full frame with some appropiate lenses, easily.

Most reactions

Back