Which Camera

boonbear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to get a camera, but I'm not sure what would be best.
I am looking to spend no more than $600, but will if I HAVE to. I want to try macro photography. I have absolutely NO experience with serious photography, so I don't really need one that will confuse me to much.

Also this is my first post here, and I would like to say that from the other posts I've read, this seems like a very informative site.

I would try looking at the nikon d40 you can buy one brand new on amazon for 414. Then you could look at a decent lens but beware because macro lenses can be quite expensive for example the nikkor 105mm f/2.8 is like 750 dollars. Just look around at different lenses I think just getting the 18-55mm would be nice to start off with and learn some shooting and then eventually progressing to better glass(lens) Hope it helped!

Some of the P&S cameras take nice macros, I played with the canon S5 IS for a few days until I wanted to manual focus... Ron on the forum here uses one, got a great frog!

There is a fun lens I think you would enjoy because you can do macro up to 1:1 shots with it, and it is very sharp. Unfortunately it is $465 on sale and only mounts on a DSLR.

Would you consider $970 + 465? (1,435.00) I'm thinking 40D with the 100mm f/2.8 macro eluded to above...

Maybe you could share it with a parent or sibling and split some of the cost :sexywink:..

BTW - The used market is another way into a DSLR, but you will need a knowledgeable photographer friend to help you do it right.

EDIT: the 40D linked on this site is a buy!

-Shea

Last edited:
Okay. I checked out the d60, i didn't look long enough to find a good comparison between the 2, but the d60 stacks up well with the d80, and the price wasn't too terrible. How is it against the d40?

As for the 40d, I really like those (my sis has a 30d i think). I am not sure i can swing the price, b/c it's $1000 on amazon with a lens, but i MAY be able to. I am splitting the cost with my wife, so we'll just have to see. HOWEVER, i can EASE into macrophotography. If i like photography enough in general, i think it would be okay to say that in a year i may be able to justify the cost of a *discounted* macro lens.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is way better than just trying to figure it out on my own.

Is image stabilization or an orientation sensor important? And what is image stitching?

Last edited:
The d40 is a beginner entry level camera and it gives a lot of good info. when picking between settings which is pretty neat.

You might want to look at the Canon EOS Rebel XS or XSi too. They're Canon's entry level DSLRs and priced below the 40D. The XS with kit lens is about $485. The XSi with kit lens is about $640 but you can also get it without the kit lens for about $565.

There are several Canon macro lenses available...

The EF 50mm f/2.5 macro is about $230.
The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM macro is about $340.
The EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro is about $480 ($445 with current rebate).
The MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x manual focus macro is about $865.
And the EF 180mm f/3.5L USM macro is about $1255.

For macro photography you want a prime (non zoom) lens and set of extension tubes or a bellows. An older, used, manual focus lens is fine as you will likely lose metering and focusing with the tubes/bellows anyway.

The tubes/bellows allow the lens to focus closer--at the cost of distance focusing.

The 105mm f4 micro nikkor ais; is an excellent macro lens and cost about half what the f2.8 costs--and you NEVER shoot macro under f4, trust me.

would the 105 mm nikkor fit the d40, 40d or the rebel, and how can you tell what they would fit? Sorry for all the idiot questions, like i said, brand new to this.

Depends if you get the nikkor 105mm then it goes with a nikon and if you get the canon then it goes with canon cameras like the 40d or rebel. Hope that helped. There is no such thing as an idiot question ask away!

i see. so each brand isn't interchangeable with other brands when it comes to the lenses? i just guessed it had to do with the size (105 mm) as to what camera body it would fit.

Also, thanks for the list of macro lenses Samanax.

Nope kinda sucks doesn't it. Ya the 105mm is the focal length of the camera or the amount of "zoom" it has.

i see. so each brand isn't interchangeable with other brands when it comes to the lenses?
Not directly, but there are adapters available that will allow you to mount a lens from one brand to a camera body of another brand, but you'll have to use manual focusing and the in camera metering may not work properly...but you can take pictures with it, just not so easily.

And they is never very fun especially for a beginner and I wouldn't recommend something like that especially for a starter.

okay, i think i have a few good options here. I like the Canon 40D, the Canon XSi Rebel, and the the Nikon D40/D60 (b/c i still haven't researched the 40 yet).

it seems like the canon 40 is the best quality while the nikons are more user friendly. Is that a fair assesment? All I'm going by is a Bestbuy.com comparison of brands, and a lot of the features I really don't understand (like Image stabilization, orientation sensor, or image stitching *what are these?*).

I know I've said it a couple of times, but thanks a lot for the help. I really didn't expect to get this much help, considering other non-related forums i've been on.

and a lot of the features I really don't understand (like Image stabilization, orientation sensor, or image stitching *what are these?*).
Image stabilization is a feature that helps to isolate camera shake and allow you to take a sharper image. With Canon and Nikon DSLRs the image stabilization feature is built into the lens. Other brands have it built into the camera body.

Sorry, I don't know what the Orientation Sensor is.

Image Stitching is the process of joining several adjacent images into one long picture (a panorama). You take several images of a wide area...each shot the camera is panned to a different view...and then take those images and with the image stitching software you join them into on long panorama shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back