Which Camera?

bkelley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a photography student and own a Nikon d3000 but am wanting to upgrade in the near future to a more professional style camera. I'm not against switching brands now as I don't have a ton of money invested in the d3000. My budget will be around $1900. I'm looking for some suggestions on cameras and why they would fit into what I'm looking for. I would like something in the high end prosumer or low-end pro style camera that I can grow with. I have looked at the Nikon d90 or what ever its replacement is, Canon 50d and the Canon 7d. I'm open to other brands as well so let the opinions flow. Thanks for any help.

In that price range, Nikon d90 or d300. Canon and Nikon are very close quality wise, so you might as well stick to Nikon.

7D is the best crop body you can get now.

you have nikon, unless you dislike the feeling compared to a canon, I say stick to nikon.

no point wasting money ? :p
also keep the d3000 as a safeguard if anything ever happens to your other camera.

Sell the d3000, add the money to the $1900, and try to get a d700 :thumbup:

Otherwise I agree on the Canon 7d, or 5d, or 50d with a nice lens.

Nikon's D90 is an entry-level camera. It's autofocus module is as basic as Nikon offers, having only 1 cross-type focus point, 11 focus points total. (Multi-CAM 1000). The D90 is an all plastic camera and has limited RAW captur options

The prosumer lineup starts with the DX, D300/D300s and the FX D700 (full frame). The D300 and up bodies have alloy-metal bodies, more external controls, faster frame-per-second rates, and many other upgradewd feature.

From the prosumer line up the cameras have the Multi-CAM 3500 autofocus module which has 15 cross type focus points, 51 focus points total.

Nikon's D300s is comparable to Canon's 7D. Nikon's D700 is comparable to Canon's 5D MKII.

I think upgrading to Nikon D90 or Nikon D300 is a better option. Unless and until you dont feel comfortable with Nikon I think you should stick with Nikon.The D90 includes a built in AF motor which means it is compatible with older AF lenses. D90 has more advance features for professional.Great sensor, amazing colors out of the camera .Solid & tight body. The optical viewfinder is bright and big, with great coverage. I think Nikon D90 is one to go with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Opinions from this thread helps me a lot also and it makes me love more Nikon. I am already set to buy D90 but if my finances permitted I would go D300 this coming october. Since you are a Nikon user already you can evaluate how good or bad Nikon is and then if your not satisfied switch to other brands. My friends who are in the field advices me to go Nikon D90 or D300s for so many good reasons similar to the opinion written above about by "akk123bcdk"

Thanks for the replies. Once the D90's replacement is released this week and I have a chance to look at it specs and compare it to other possible cameras I'll have a better idea of what I will end up getting. I'm really leaning toward the upcoming Nikon or going up to the d300s which ever ends up being better. Before I make a final decision I am going to try to get a chance to shoot a few pics with the 7d just so I can make a decision based more on feel than just what I'm able to read and hear from others. Thanks again for the replies as it gave me some place to really start to consider which camera I should get.

Thanks for the replies. Once the D90's replacement is released this week and I have a chance to look at it specs and compare it to other possible cameras I'll have a better idea of what I will end up getting. I'm really leaning toward the upcoming Nikon or going up to the d300s which ever ends up being better. Before I make a final decision I am going to try to get a chance to shoot a few pics with the 7d just so I can make a decision based more on feel than just what I'm able to read and hear from others. Thanks again for the replies as it gave me some place to really start to consider which camera I should get.

Good thing I didn't buy new SLR because I can still compare D90, D300s with any new product of Nikon ;)

Most reactions

Back