Which Digital, not DSLR

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine is wanting a good point and shoot digital camera that is great on resolution and low on noise when shooting scenery shots.

Any suggestions on a good point and shoot without having to step into the DSLR realm?

Hehehe silly them. ;)

Not really.

If they've decided that they are quite happy to lose the flexibility of the SLR in return for convenience and 'carryability' it's unlikely that they'll want to mess around with RAW, even though most of us here find it easy and natural.

Calling people silly just because they don't want to get involved in what are, to them, unnecessary technicalities is itself rather silly, not to mention elitist and unproductive.

why are you guys so eager to jump at each others throat? i guess bifurcator ment as a joke and silly is not a word with a really bad conotation.

on topic: even though it is a p&s having raw will eventually prove to be an advantage. i was kinda disappointed with my fuji p&s due to lack of raw capability so i went slr

why are you guys so eager to jump at each others throat? i guess bifurcator ment as a joke and silly is not a word with a really bad conotation.

You might think that but not everyone sees that sort of thing as humour.

And, unfortunately, when people who come out with elitist c**p like that it puts others off and makes them feel they don't belong here.

My post was intended to reassure people not to jump at anyone's throat.

On topic: Having RAW may prove to be an advantage. Some people would never consider doing anything that required RAW and so making that a requirement would unnecessarily limit their choice and might prevent them getting other features they would find useful.

It would be best if OP determined whether his friend would ever make use of the feature before mandating it.

It's why he's on my ignore list. I hope he didn't say anything too bad this time.

You might think that but not everyone sees that sort of thing as humour.

And, unfortunately, when people who come out with elitist c**p like that it puts others off and makes them feel they don't belong here.

My post was intended to reassure people not to jump at anyone's throat.

On topic: Having RAW may prove to be an advantage. Some people would never consider doing anything that required RAW and so making that a requirement would unnecessarily limit their choice and might prevent them getting other features they would find useful.

It would be best if OP determined whether his friend would ever make use of the feature before mandating it.

Oh, good grief. Calm down there, buddy. The guy was making a silly joke. He even put a smiley face on it.

As far as P&S cameras go, they have advanced so much in the last few years that it is hard to go wrong with some of the upper end Canons or Nikons, Olympus, etc....

Do any point and shoots have RAW? Moglex seems a wee bit sensitive. It's ok man. You would probably break down crying if you saw some of these threads.

Do any point and shoots have RAW? Moglex seems a wee bit sensitive. It's ok man. You would probably break down crying if you saw some of these threads.

Hey, look you guys, lighten up will you?

I just didn't want anyone to be put off by, as Rick Waldroup called it: "Bifucator's silly joke".

You're all acting as if I'd ordered in the inquisition.

Let's just all calm down and concentrate on the topic of the thread. :lol:

Hey, look you guys, lighten up will you?

I just didn't want anyone to be put off by, as Rick Waldroup called it: "Bifucator's silly joke".

You're all acting as if I'd ordered in the inquisition.

Let's just all calm down and concentrate on the topic of the thread. :lol:

Okay.;)

Side note: The eagerness to jump down bifurcator's throat stems from things beyond this thread. There are a few people on the TPF that have me biting my tongue, editing my posts to tone them down, and at times hit Cancel after typing in a response. Some are better at it that others... Ramifications for ones responses are limited in this type of communication.... its just something you have to live with. (If the TPF were a bar, I think a few major bar fights would have already been fought)

On topic: Look at the latest from Canon as good options and features. Please keep in mind the two things mentioned in the OPs post are often limitations in P&S when compared to full blow DSLRs. Set your budget choose accordingly, research www.dpreview.com, and ask questions at a reputable camera store. If you budget has enough room, I highly recommend the Canon G9 which is most likely more than you need but at least you'll more than enough room to grow.

The issue with asking such questions on photography forums like the TPF is that it involves a community of photographers that such passion for photography that their expectations are set well and above what the typical consumer would be happy with. Their high expectations (call it elitism if you want) will show in their responses.

Its similar to luxuries of items like wine. I don't mind box wine on a daily basis. My wine buddy pukes at the thought and brings his own wine to my dinner parties. One could conclude he is an elitist... or one can just roll with it and accept his expectations are far and above mine.

Most reactions

Back