Which Digital, not DSLR

This question was basically answered in the beginner's forum.

What is the thread title in the beginners forum V. Idiot? Also, what are some good digital cameras that shoot in RAW?

For "good" cameras that have RAW check out the link in post #3. All those have RAW. And many of them have manual/mechanical lens ring based zoom and focus too which i feel is crucial. Not to mention filter threads. ;)

For "good" cameras that have RAW check out the link in post #3. All those have RAW. And many of them have manual/mechanical lens ring based zoom and focus too which i feel is crucial. Not to mention filter threads. ;)

Thanks much!!

Good info on post #3. That info is proving to be invaluable. I think I am going to purchase the Olympus SP-570 UZ. Would you agree that this is one of the best if not the best in the list?

Mind you resolution and image quality are the most important things to me because I am going to be blowing my pictures way up...

Last edited:
i love our canon G9
we also have a canon s5is.

both of those IMO are among the best p&s you can get

i love our canon G9
we also have a canon s5is.

both of those IMO are among the best p&s you can get

What do you love about those cameras? Does the Cannon G9 shoot in raw? How is the resolution and image quality when shot higher than 100 ISO?

A canon G9 or S5 IS. I would go with the G9 personally, for its raw capabilities.

Good info on post #3. That info is proving to be invaluable. I think I am going to purchase the Olympus SP-570 UZ. Would you agree that this is one of the best if not the best in the list?

Mind you resolution and image quality are the most important things to me because I am going to be blowing my pictures way up...

Yes, I would agree with that!

The G9 also equal in most regards to the Ricoh R8, is the best pocketable camera. It doesn't compete with cameras like the SP-570 UZ though. Not at all. Japanese customers favor the Ricoh by an overwhelming majority.

Last edited:
The things I don't like about the G9 are:

• Lack of a manual/mechanical zoom ring and the thumbed motorized zoom is dog slow.
  • Lack of a mechanical focus ring. (it has a ring for manual but it's hooked up the camera's electronic focusing do there's little or no proper feedback - making it pretty weird to use.
  • Lack of an EVF (Electronic View Finer) <-- I like EVF better even the OVF actually and of course better than the G9's tunnel OTF.
  • Lack of any filter threads (no standard or 3rd party lens attachments - filters, etc.)
  • Only 6x optical zoom ( 35~210mm really wimpy for today's standards and 35 isn't wide enough.)
  • Largest f-number is 8.0 :(
  • The flash is too wimpy (it's rated for only 2.5 meters in telephoto mode. :()
  • There is no DC-in port so no plugged in operation.
  • Doesn't use Compact Flash memory cards.
  • Doesn't have a time-lapse feature.
  • The ergonomics pretty much suck imo or as dpreview puts it: "...at times it is frustratingly counterintuitive and some aspects of the control system/user interface are surprisingly inconsistent."

And really, many of these things go with just about any pocketable P&S - though some are G9 only bad-points.

Last edited:
I looked at the G9 when I was in the market for a high quality P&S. I also looked at the Sigma DP-1. In the end, I decide on the Ricoh GRDII. I do a lot of street photography and the camera has really been perfect for this type of work. I have been very happy with it. But this type of fixed focal length P&S camera is not for everyone. I think a lot of folks want zooms on their cameras.

A friend of mine is wanting a good point and shoot digital camera that is great on resolution and low on noise when shooting scenery shots.

Any suggestions on a good point and shoot without having to step into the DSLR realm?

I'm somewhat confused.

Actually, I'm not.

It seems to me that OP didn't want to admit that he wanted a P&S which is exactly the sort of thing that made me pick bifucator up on his 'joke'.

It's not just Bifucator, of course. A lot of people do it.

People should be free to do their photography in their own way.

Ever since photographers started complaining that ready made plates were going to be the death of 'real' photography we've had people belittling others for the way they shoot. It's really rather sad (in the traditional sense of the word).

People should be free to do their photography in their own way.

:thumbup: Something that has bugged me about many photography sites. I met a lady a few days ago making some side money from selling photographs with little poetic sayings all nicely framed. The entire series was shot with a little Lumix P&S. She saw my camera and started to talk about it. I offered my advice on several DSLRs instead and what I thought. I then finished up with

Is there anything about the camera that is limiting you?

She said no and I countered with "Why mess up a good thing that is working for you?"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back