Which DSLR should I buy?

Zman9398

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First, before I get into this, I understand that you guys have probably seen threads like this and are going to tell me to use the search bar, but I have and really can't find much on the expect topic and specifics.

Budget: 500 for just body

Lenses: I currently am not invested in any system.

Way of Purchasing: eBay, used

Type of Photography: Surf Photography from beach, landscapes and casual walk-around.

I have seen a few bodies in my price range that I like:

Nikon:
d300- 450
d5100-350
d5200- 450
d3200- 300
D3300- 400
D90- 380

Canon:
60D- 450
50D- 400

My friend was going to sell me a Nikon 55-200 (kit lens) for 100 if I got a Nikon, but after hearing its not so suitable for action I may not get it no matter what.

i like the idea of have a top display and weather proofing sounds like it would do wonders for me.

i shoot videos with my go pro and it goes where ever I go. (HINT: video is not important)

I think you should get the D5100 for $350, which leaves you with $150 for a lens. You can purchase an 18-55mm for cheap, which will be your "walking around" lens. Then start saving up for a telephoto for those surfing shots.

BTW: have you seen what the pros use for surfing shots? Get ready to spend some money.

I think the d300 is your best choice here. I believe it's the only weather proofish body. The sensor is not as good at high I so as the others but it is the most pro spec camera on your list

get this one
e4aguze6.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I would go wity the D5200.
Well I really did go with it already.

The D300 is a good option, but it's now too old...
The D5200 is new and has the best sensor among all crop DSLR of today.

Here are my shots with the D5200:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/72157641189291803/

Good luck!

While the Lego one is def out the 5100 and 5200 neither have weather seals or a top display. They do have more mp and better sensors but the d300 fps, autofocus, build and inbuilt focus motor trump them in my opinion for outdoor action

Look at D200s. Not QUITE as good as a D300, but darn close and will save you a couple bills. Then you can put that money towards a lens.

As far as "not suitable for action"... I once used a 70-300 4/5.6 for some action shots. It worked fine.

"Suitable for X" is a statement made by people who have the luxury of a much larger budget, and specifically many thousands of dollars. I have a 70-200 2.8 VR2 that is "suitable for action" from within a limited range. $2500. What I really need is like a 300 or 400 mm F4, which runs in the more $5000+ range.

The 50-200 will be fine.

You can make almost anything work. It's just sometimes a little more challenging.

I would go with the D5200, best sensor out of your list and its AF is same as the one on D7000 which means its a pretty good AF system.

D3300 is my vote. Much better image quality than any of the old, 10- and 12-MP cameras. A LOT more megapixels than a D200 or D300, which will be hugely useful for surfing photos, where cropping a big, 24-MP image is your "telephoto lens" substitute. ALL of the 3xxx and 5xxx series cameras can accept older, pre-AI lenses, as well as AI lenses and Ai-S lenses, so you might find some good, older, manual focus lenses really affordable as one way to expand your kit; like say, a pre-AI 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikko...older rough exterior ones sell for $30 or so on KEH.COM because those lenses are UN-USABLE on most d-slrs, and on many,many film Nikons. The "baby Nikon" d-slrs are basically the only Nikons that can even MOUNT pre-Ai lenses. The D3300 uses a bigger, more-powerful battery than the earlier D3200, and seems to have slightly better video capabilities.

Read the new Thom Hogan review of the D3300.Nikon D3300 Review | byThom | Thom Hogan

Agree with Derrel on D3300.

I won't bother with weather proofing unless I can drop my camera in a pool and it still works. Most modern DSLRs can take a little rain or snow or some splashing or some bad weathers as tested with both D610 and D5300 (both not weather proofed).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back