Which edit (redo from previous maternity shoot)?

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
SOOC, converted to JPEG
$originallr.jpg

First edit... was looking for an antique feel. I think I managed that, but I'm not sure if it's "best."
$_MG_6178 copy.jpg

B&W - did some cropping and cloning as well as a curves adjustment for this one.
$_MG_6178copybw.jpg

Color with some curves and cloning.
$_MG_6178copycolor.jpg

I prefer the last one. The antique would have a little more edge with a more dramatic vignette. I also like that one because it's artsy. :)

I like the shot, but wish there was a bit more detail ... You could try going back into camera raw and just pushing the highlight slider to the left. It may help bring in more of the detail.

Hope that helps!

The b&w loses too much texture in the fabric for my taste. I think I like the antiqueish one best for artistry and the last one (color) for a little hint of the sexy.

I liked the taller frame SOOC, though.

I would agree that I prefer the last one best. on the first one, I would ease off the vingetting or, if you have LR5, use that new radial adjustment to highlight her and darken the rest of the photo. (Note, it will do oval shapes and you can tilt it to fit her in, then drop the exposure of the rest of the photo.)

I too prefer the taller frame. I just don't like the bottom. Can always extend the canvas and c&p a piece of the blown portion. I think I still prefer my first edit; I think the antique "finish" works with the styling.

Something I am doing with blankish space these days is just ruthlessly painting on it. I've recently shed by "straight photography" shackles and embraced a sor of personal take on pictorialism, and I am just using soft brushes all over. I clone textures into boring regions, and then paint white and black streaks all over a transparent layer over that and blur that layer a bit and then paint burning/dodging over that.

I have the zealotry of a recent convert!

I don't like that the detail in the lace is blown out.

Cloned in some texture, extended the bottom of the frame down, painted ruthlessly all over the place, and did a little selective saturation in an attempt to emphasize the tummy a bit.

$foo.jpg

I looked through all four of the larger versions. To me, the antique creamtone-style presentation is the nicest and most-pleasing in all respects.

Jess... my main issue is the shot itself. Without being told it was maternity... I wouldn't have known she was preggers, If her right hand was in a different area... and belly was a little more distinct, this would work better. Great idea, just needs some work.

Jess... my main issue is the shot itself. Without being told it was maternity... I wouldn't have known she was preggers, If her right hand was in a different area... and belly was a little more distinct, this would work better. Great idea, just needs some work.

Totally agree with you, Charlie. I did mention that as something I'd like to improve on when I originally posted this; had I instructed her to pose slightly to the side, with her belly closer to the lace, it would have been more defined (like her upper thighs are in the shot). She had the "problem" of having a tiny bump (in quotes because I know that's not really a problem, would have loved to had that "issue" while pregnant lol).

I plan on using the idea more - I have a few boudoir shoots coming up and I think this kind of shot plays well on the classy aspect of sexy.

I am on my phone but I like the sooc best I think. Lol

Most reactions

Back