which editing program should i use?

jimmymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi guys!

im looking to start learning to edit my photo's and was wondering which program would be best? is photoshop what i should be buying or is that jumping the gun? are there more basic programs to use for beginners? is it worth getting a more basic program to get to grips with editing? any advice or info would be huuuuugely appreciated. thanks in advance, james.

First: Hold off on photoshop. That's a huge investment.

Second: Try some freeware. I use GIMP, it's decent and can do all basic and many advanced edits. The UI was a little difficult for me to get used to, but I like it a lot. Paint.NET is another program I use, and it's a little more user-friendly.

When I first started editing, I used Picasa (by google). I learned basic editing (crop, straighten, etc) then moved on to Paint.NET, followed by GIMP.

I've been using Olympus's Viewer 2, and Nikon's View NX2. Both are great for basic editing. I've downloaded Gimp 6.0, but really haven't had the time to start learning this advanced editing program.

Impossible to answer the question. This is like asking "What car is best for me?" or "What is the best lens for me?" Not enough information to even begin to answer.

That said, try GIMP. It's free, and if it works for you, you haven't spent any money. If it doesn't work for you, you haven't spent any money.

Photoshop Elements is also a cheaper introductory software compared to photoshop. The full version of photoshop, while great, has a steep learning curve. It has a lot of features you may never use. Remember, Photoshop is not just for photographers. It has a lot of features for design, graphic arts, fine art, web design, etc...and can be really daunting to beginners.

Oh, btw, your camera should have come with Canon Digital Photo Professional. You can do a lot of corrections with it.

Second: Try some freeware. I use GIMP, it's decent and can do all basic and many advanced edits. The UI was a little difficult for me to get used to, but I like it a lot. Paint.NET is another program I use, and it's a little more user-friendly.

When I first started editing, I used Picasa (by google). I learned basic editing (crop, straighten, etc) then moved on to Paint.NET, followed by GIMP.

First off, dont listen to this person. BUY PHOTOSHOP. Yes it costs a lot but it is the best out there any you will not need to replace it for a long time and it will do everything you need and much more. I learned on photoshop and did not use cheap freeware except what came with my camera. I still use cs4 but the new cs5 is amazing!

If your budget can stand it and you expect this photography thing to be a long term commitment from you, look into Photoshop. Here's the way I would recommend doing that:

1. Get a trial version from Adobe and assess it for 30 days free.

2. During that 30 days, spend $25 for a month's worth of video training at www.Lynda.com using Deke McClelland as your instructor. Start with his Photoshop CS5 Tutorials | One-on-One Fundamentals course and work your way up from there. There are 22 videos in that first course that you can watch without even signing up, to get a feel for some of what you'll learn if you take it.

Spend just one hour per day (or better) on this for 30 days, and at the end of those 30 days, you'll have your answer as to whether Photoshop is the right tool for you.

First off, dont listen to this person. BUY PHOTOSHOP. Yes it costs a lot but it is the best out there any you will not need to replace it for a long time and it will do everything you need and much more. I learned on photoshop and did not use cheap freeware except what came with my camera. I still use cs4 but the new cs5 is amazing!

Why buy a Kenworth when a Kia will get you to work?

Why buy a Kenworth when a Kia will get you to work?

Cause it wont. LOL

Worst advice ever. Seriously, you're going to tell someone BRAND SPANKING NEW to editing to drop $800 on a program they may end up not using? I'd love to have that kind of money to play around with.

DiskoJoe is right when he says Photoshop will do everything you need and more but:

The OP should consider how into photography he is or will be. Photography as a hobby is like any other hobby where it could come.....and then go......I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a super high end camera and top of the line editing software for someone just getting interested in it.

If he/she has been at it a while and knows that they intend to persue it as a passion and more than just an interest, then sure - get the tools you need
Of course, if this person is rich, then that is besides the point (a $3000 camera and $1000 woth of software sitting on a shelf wont matter to them).

Agreed, Joey_Ricard.

OP's first statement is that he wants to start learning to edit photos. Unless OP isn't worried about possibly wasting a large amount of cash, I just don't think it's wise for photoshop to be the first program he purchases/uses. Ease into it, figure out if photography/editing is something you're going to be doing consistently for a long time, or if it's going to be an occasional hobby.

I like Buckster's recommendation: trial first, then make the decision to purchase or not.

All image editing software has a steep learning curve.

Photoshop CS5 is about the cost of a mid-grade prosumer DSLR lens. Amazon has it for $651 - Adobe Photoshop CS5

Photoshop Elements is a heavily de-featured, less expensive ($70) version of CS5 - Adobe Photoshop Elements 10

Few ever mention Corel's PaintShop Pro X4 ($46), which I have never used. Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate

Note: Most TPF members don't type in all lower case.

In addition to the freeware GIMP, check out the other freeware application Photoscape.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back