Which flash brackets for single flash are good?

Tommyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the market for a flash bracket. I like the idea of bendable fully positionable as it seems the most simplistic for hand held macros. Any of you guys using one you would recommend over another. I would like to be able to use for the Nikon 105 mm 2.8 as well as maybe one or two shorter focal lenses. probably will be using with a lumiquest mini softbox. Thanks

I will be using the Nikon sb-600

Last edited:
A flash bracket is usually a fairly personal choice. It's mostly about what feels right to you.

A popular brand name for brackets is Stroboframe, another is Really Right Stuff.

I own a Stroboframe 'Press-T'. The thing I like about this model, is that it's made so that you hold the camera (as you normally would) with both hands. Many brackets are designed so that you hold the bracket with your left hand, which means you have to switch hands if you want to zoom or focus the lens manually.

A flash bracket is usually a fairly personal choice. It's mostly about what feels right to you.

A popular brand name for brackets is Stroboframe, another is Really Right Stuff.

I own a Stroboframe 'Press-T'. The thing I like about this model, is that it's made so that you hold the camera (as you normally would) with both hands. Many brackets are designed so that you hold the bracket with your left hand, which means you have to switch hands if you want to zoom or focus the lens manually.

Thank you Mike

I'm in the Really Right Stuff camp. I'm using their "wedding flash bracket" which allows a single button push to quickly reposition the flash for portrait shots, keeping the flash directly above the lens. I had tried an 'economy' bracket that allowed multiple flashes and even an umbrella to be mounted as well, but it turned out to be less than convenient when time to flip the camera for portraits, holding onto the flash bracket as the camera rotated 90 degrees.

The down side of many flash brackets, including Really Right Stuff, is that they require an separate L bracket, custom designed for your camera with/without grip, which is almost as expensive as the flash bracket. The advantage of the L bracket is mounting to a tripod or mono pod takes about 1 second as I have the appropriate clamps mounted on each of them. And of course, the camera can be mounted in portrait mode to the same clamp.

I chose the Really Right Stuff bracket to make switching to portrait mode near instantaneous to accomplish, and its light weight. Carrying a gripped Canon 5D mark iii with a flash on top can make my right shoulder hurt after 3 hours or so. Fortunately, I'm an amateur that doesn't do weddings, so I can rest between shots when needed.

Based on my experience, my recommendation is to bite the bullet and get a sturdy, light weight flash bracket and appropriate L bracket. The all-in-one type flash brackets may be bulky or heavy, or in my case, hard to mount the camera to it as well.

edit: be sure to check the used departments at B&H and Adorama and even ebay. I've seen a number of used flash brackets and L brackets at each at a good savings over new.

Last edited:
RAM-Mount.

They are not flash brackets - they are setups for attaching things to bicycles and as such they actually work - many flash brackets are designed to only raise the flash up in the air for normal shooting; whilst macro specific ones are often very expensive (and mostly identical to the RAM mount approach).

For some reason their US site is down. However what you want are;

2 1/4 thread balls - these let you screw one ball onto the flash base and the other onto the base of the camera/tripod collar.

2 double ball connecting arms (3 if you're using the camera tripod mount instead of a lens collar)

2 double connecting arms (3 if you're using the camera tripod mount instead of a lens collar)

You then simply attach the screwthread balls to the flash an camera and then connect the various sockets and joining balls together to get a very versatile and very secure setup. The balls and joints are also a tiny bit sticky (rubber) so when you release pressure you don't get a sudden drop of the socket.

For quality, build and convenience you probably can't beat custom brackets. Hard to beat them on price either, well except for RRS. Both are pretty pricey. I've got a Digital Pro M that I picked up slightly used and love it.

I was looking on EBAY today. This looks interesting, Macro Shooting Dual Arm Bracket and Mini Flash PC Sync Set for Canon | eBay, but I do have reservations about it's use.

Each arm has a weight limit of .35 KG (About 3/4 Pound).
One ad for the flash cautions "High Trigger Voltage"
The flash output is not adjustable.

One reference on FLICKR said 250 V, if someone buys one of these, the voltage is easily measured. I did click ask seller, so hopefully more information soon.

Not a recommendation as such, just interesting.

Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back