Which Flash for Skateboarding

eriset

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone.

I am new to this forum.

I have a Nikon d40 (my first dSLR) and am using the kit lens (18-55mm) with a .42x wide angle to create the fisheye effect (since I can't afford a decent fisheye lens.) Anyway, with this equipment which flash should I choose to make the skater pop? I don't have much experience with sports photography and have mostly shot stills. Yesterday, I shot from afar w/my zoom and it turned out alright, but it was kind of cloudy and the colors aren't as intense as I'd like. I'm wanting to get up close and use my wide angle and a flash.

Here all the equipment I have: (nikon) N70 body, D40 body, a 28-80 lens, 18-55 lens, and a 55-200, and a .42x wide angle attachment for my lens.

With all this in mind, any suggestion on equipement (flash) or techniques are greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

Keep in mind, if they wipe out and you're standing right next to them then you're going to probably lose some expensive optical/light equipment. You really ought to save up and buy a longer lens instead, at least at first.

That said, if you've got a Nikon body you're looking at a Nikon flash, Nikon does a really good job with flashes for a decent price. Look at either the SB-400 or the SB-600 depending on the features you want and whether you value size/weight/portability.

Keep in mind, if they wipe out and you're standing right next to them then you're going to probably lose some expensive optical/light equipment. You really ought to save up and buy a longer lens instead, at least at first.

That said, if you've got a Nikon body you're looking at a Nikon flash, Nikon does a really good job with flashes for a decent price. Look at either the SB-400 or the SB-600 depending on the features you want and whether you value size/weight/portability.

I have known this skater for about 13 years and he's been skating since before then. I'm sure if he wipes out he'll learn to fly and avoid me...at least I hope. ;) He'd rather I capture a shot where I'm kind of shooting up at him and I'm not afraid...so I'll give it a shot. Thank you for your flash suggestions. I'll check them out now.

Skip the SB400... it's small and too limited for something like skating. Go with the SB-600 or SB-800(used, it's been replaced with the too expensive sb-900)

I personally would choose wide angle for skateboarding, long lenses might be safer, but you won't have the same visual effect. I'm sure if you're into skating yourself, you've looked at pro shots in magazines. Most are wide shots, although, I wouldn't limit myself to only wide shots.. move back sometimes.

get yourself a couple of vivitar 285hv's, cheap, rugged, simple, and very popular with amatuer skate photographer types.
look around on ebay, should be able to get them around $100-$150 USD each

Thanks guys. That's more help than I expected. ^.^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back