Which gear to hire TFCD

delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I am doing my first TFCD photoshoot on a friends for with a model i arranged .... on a farm late afternoon . Will be before sunset.

So my current gear.
Canon eos 60d
50 f1.8 ii fixed focal lenth nifty fifty.
430 ex speed lite
Super zoom 18-250mm sigma os usm f3.5-6.3 Lens
50-500 mm sigma hsm os f4.5-6.3 lens.
Old national flash ( manual)
Tripod
Monopod.

So i was wondering.

Should i hire any of the following?

Canon 50 f1.2
Canon 85 f1.2 (might be to close with the 1.6x crop)
Canon speedlkte 580 ex.(as a backup when light might be a problem and the 430 ex is not enough)

Please help me.

The reason i was looking at renting a lens is to just have that better glass to shoot the model to basically just increase the image quality.

Please help me decide.

The farm is fairly open .in midday it is ussualy coverd with harsh sunlight so trees throwing shoddows in the late afternoon wont be too much....

Thanx

Just tell me which less will be more usefull if i already have a 50mm f1.8

Thank you

I am not a Canon user but I am pretty sure that the 85mm f/1.2 will give you better bokeh. I am not sure if that's of any importance.
I have a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 lens that I use regularly for portraits on a crop camera and even if that gives me the FOV of about 157mm when I have enough space it is extremely good.

Also, you probably know this already, use the sweet spot of the 50mm. As is should be somewhere around f/2.8 - f/4 you will have to think about light and maybe use at least one flash for fill light.

Thank you.

That helped alot :)
Hopes the 430 ex is sufficient.

Going to rent a 70-200 f2.8L IS lens.

I will see if i can borrow my buddies 580 ex as a backup.

Use the 50 you already have....if you don't really know how to use the flash shoot with natural light.
Image quality isn't about the gear, it is about taking quality images, which you can do with just about anything......if you know what you are doing, and if you don't all the gear in the world won't fix that.

Have you got a way to fire the flash/flashes remotely, off camera? I would say that is your priority. Use the nifty fifty, don't get too caught up in the camera and lens until you get the lighting and posing right.

Ettl on the 430 ex or manual if i want to fire the 430 ex with the national. But both via an optical trigger.

At the moment i think i am going to use the flash just as a fill in. But hopefully i can get atleast 5-10 goodlooking shots.

Some pics.

Photos taken outside. Friend - same location as the coming tfcd.

Other photos - Selfportraits both flash lites
b7a77881.jpg

d7d6f222.jpg

932990b6.jpg
9e594002.jpg
abf900a3.jpg

cb8d099a.jpg

I think photobucker resized the pics i see some are not that sharp after uploading.

At the farm i just photgraphed ideas and like forgot my 430 ex at home so the shadows basicly defeat the outdoor photos.

Please comment .

Last edited:
All the outdoor photos need a lot more light on the face to eliminate those harsh shadows. Alternatively, you could shoot early evening to avoid the harsh shadows.

The indoor portraits all have the flash positioned way too low, giving the 'flashlight under the chin' effect like you're telling ghost stories around a campfire or something.

Thank you :)

Tell me i have heard that th flash should be mounted very high with the beam facing down on the subject.
How correct is that?

What hight do u ussualy place your flash indoor?

The shoot will be in the late afternoon to avoid the harsh sunlight.

Thanx for the comments.

Any word about the composition of the outdoor shots?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back