Which image is stronger

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
I've recieved split opinions on this one, and I'm curious what you guys think...

noliew.jpg

..or..

nolie2w.jpg

Robert Walton

I think No 2 is stronger because the focus is on the guys face rather than his body and his expression is more visible.

I don't have a clue what it is I'm looking at though apart from maybe a tired guy sitting down in a yard with a crutch! Maybe thats just my untrained eye!

I would say the first is stronger, the contrast on the man is great, the fence going down give more of a feel of depth, and there are various items around the edge of the picture such as electrical boxes, plants, stairs, someone else etc... that accent the man.
In the second one I find the electric equipment and wire distracting and the man isn't centered. I also get the impression of looking in through the fence rather than in the first where you see him behind a fence.

I like #2. Keep in mind that I love facial expression and it shows more in 2. The crutch is also more visable and gives a sense of despair to the photo. Since I don't have the experience to give a good technical critique, my comments come more from feeling than anything else. Good work.

I like #1, actually. Makes the man a bit more annonymous, rather than seeing his extremely detailed and hairy face... <_<

I say #1 because its emotional, and the guy is in deep thought...plus he looks like a prisoner.

where #2 looks yet again in deep thought, but he also has peece with the world..

in my opinion #1 is definitely the stronger picture, mostly because it shows the viewer more about what's going on in the scene than #2 does. Since you can see more of the area where the guy's sitting, as well as more of him, you can tell better what exactly he's doing there. Also, the position of the camera in #1 gives more of a sense of not interacting with the subject, while in #2 it's more obvious that he knows you're there. I hope this makes sense.

i favor the first because i think it captures the environment more, though i find the pole on the right a bit distracting

in the second the crutch is cut off at the top and i would like to see his hands for more of an expression

good shots!!!:thumbup: :D

I like the first one better also!

I find the first one to be a better shot. I think it is more of an impersonal shot and it portrays a certain grittyness that you don't find wiht the second. From the higher angle and the focus you used I also think that the fencing on the first is a better framing than the second. The angle also helps to give a nice perspective of making the subject small, but his crutch large. I only found one thing distracting on the first picture, the persons legs in the upper right corner. Overall, very nice job on both though.

It depends on how one would depict the scene. I think both are equally strong. The first one gives the impression that the world looks down upon someone in his condition, leaving the viewer to wonder whether or not this is right. The other one is eye-level, giving the sense that he is just as equal as everyone else.

I go for the first one. In addition to the other emotions it evokes as explained by the previous posters, it also give a strong sense of isolation missing in the second shot.

Most reactions

Back