Which image is stronger

As far as "stronger" it think it depends on what you are trying to depict. To help level the playing field a bit, to me, they both have distracting qualities and I would've preferred a more sedate background. That being said, just focusing on the subject, I think Kent's comments are right on. My own interpretation: first one is more a statement of a condition, while the second one is more a statement of an individual living with their own limitations. I get more a feeling of despair with the first one and the angle gives it a tone of less intimacy. There is a sort of emotional removal from the person. In #2, it has a much more personal tone like you are introducing the viewer to a buddy.

It's funny how just the change in the angle can create such a different atmosphere.

just my .02

I think youve got two great ones that should stick together....look at the amount of discussion it is causing!

I like the semetry of the first one. The background is better too without the large, light area in the upper right-hand corner, and the prominance of the electrical boxes.

Unimaxium said:
Also, the position of the camera in #1 gives more of a sense of not interacting with the subject, while in #2 it's more obvious that he knows you're there.

I am all about the subject having no clue you are taking the picture and couldn't agree more with what Unimaxium has said above.

my vote goes to #1

these pictures really give a different perspective, and therefore everyone sees different...some will like one, some the other....i personally dig the first, cause it gives you more to work with as far as "reading" what you want to in a pic... i like to look at a pic and find a story...guess thats why i notice stuff... but he has a book of matches it looks like, right beside him...therefore it makes me wonder if they are his, and he just dropped them on the way down, did someone throw him some matches thru the fence...did he just kinda chunk them in depression, or anger..? is there a chicks number written on the inside..? or a note from a friend, family..? or the number of a safe house to call if he needs them? stories stories stories...but as one has said, look at all the comments you have already....good series...the pictures did what they should have done... made people respond......

Both are good~~~~but I can not see the face clearly of the first one . and the second one seems not stronger as the first one although the face is more clear~ perhaps the position is not quite strong~~~I think the first one ' position is very good~

In my opinion - definately first one. Not only I like the pose and expression more, by positioning the camera above the subject you "diminished" him even further which adds a lot to the photo. Great job.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a story behind these pictures?

Not really. I was walking to the metro, through Columbia Heights in D.C., and saw this guy sitting in a homeless shelter. When I walked up to him, he made a peace symbol with his fingers and just kind of looked at me. I asked if I could shoot his picture, and he nodded.

I shot about five frames, and thanked him. The only three words he said to me the whole time were "pictures don't lie."

That's it.

Thanks for all the comments.

Robert
www.TeamWetDog.com

#2 steonger. In #1 the man is centered, in #2 he isnt, thats a good thing to me, uniform pictures that are symetrical can be bland. #2 seems to get closer to this man for the viewer and you can see his face better than you can in #1.

Most reactions

Back