which is best?

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
Hey,

These are two pics I took the other day in the park near us... they are of the same tree, but one with more ground in, and the other more sky. Just after people's opinion about which is the better of the two?

single%20tree%20with%20sky.jpg

single%20tree.jpg

I think my favourite is the second one...

... here are some more shots from the park

I like the second one the best as well. It might just be me, but the first one looks a little darker then the second one. The other picture you linked to are also very good.

I prefer the first image to the 2nd. I don't think the grass does much for the composition. Although, I think a shot in between the 2 would be the best.

I like the 1st one better. It looks like you thought about the composition and chose to shoot it that way.

The 2nd one looks a lot more like a snapshot. Like if someone said "hey, there's a tree...take a picture of it"

definately #1 is stronger out of these two in my opinion.... the sky is much nicer to look at than a bunch of grass. Personally i would like the tree to be not as completely centered in the middle, but out ofthese two, #1 is my choice

-Dan

Sometimes in landscapes it can be hard to decide on which of the 3 horizontal planes to include the main subject.

Sometimes the upper 1/3 or middle plane is selected for the placement in an attempt to elude to a more 3-dimentional illusion. It mostly depends on the other elements in the composition. For the time being I agree that the sky is more dynamic than the grass.

But really, I couldn't opt for one over the other. I'd have to keep them both. View them tomorrow or a week from now and you may find that your favorite has alternated.

I'm a little uncomfortable with a portrait crop that doesn't maintain a reasonably close common Width-to-height ration-- 4:5, 8:10, etc.

Did I already say I like both the pics?

In this case I would suggest neither. In the first there is too much sky considering the tree is very large in scale. If the tree could have been taken in a perspective where it was smaller with the vast sky it could have had some nice dramatic effect. To accomplish this a different composition and some cropping would be required.

The second picture has too much grass and really not enough depth to make the tree a giant towering over the grass.

It is interesting, but honestly that is about it.

mfacer, I realize that you didn't post in the "Critique" thread and I'm afraid that I may have come off as sounding critical. Please accept my comments as mere observations from a differrent perspective.

The Rebel

Most reactions

New Topics

Back