Which is Better & Why? Whats the Diff. ?

OcLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for helping. I'm looking into getting a DSLR with Video. I currently have a Nikon D50 and a Canon XSi. But I want to get I go doing videos and learning new stuff. Eventually, I'll probably get rid of my Nikon(no specific reason why I choose that one over the canon FYI) and the two cameras I'm thinking about are: Canon 60D or Nikon7000. I don't want to go FullFrame just yet. Do to currently being out of my price range with lenses and all. But if anyone knows which is better and can give me your input maybe helping me out. I'd really appreciate it, thank you for your Time :)

Hi, and thanks for helping. I'm looking into getting a DSLR with Video. I currently have a Nikon D50 and a Canon XSi. But I want to get I go doing videos and learning new stuff. Eventually, I'll probably get rid of my Nikon(no specific reason why I choose that one over the canon FYI) and the two cameras I'm thinking about are: Canon 60D or Nikon7000. I don't want to go FullFrame just yet. Do to currently being out of my price range with lenses and all. But if anyone knows which is better and can give me your input maybe helping me out. I'd really appreciate it, thank you for your Time :)

If your primary focus is video, you can go cheaper with a Canon t3i or t2i. Much better value than the 60D in my opinion.

PhotoWhoa said:
If your primary focus is video, you can go cheaper with a Canon t3i or t2i. Much better value than the 60D in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But for some reason I think the 60D is better. Lol and to be honest. I'm not sure why. I'm still some what of an amateur, so what's the difference between the T3i and T2i vs. 60D ? Besides the price lol

The 60D is better -- specifically for video. HOWEVER... the T4i is better for video than the T2i or T3i.

When you shoot video with a DSLR, generally the camera will NOT auto-focus WHILE you're shooting (you can turn the focus ring on the lens and manually focus.) There is a button on the back of the camera that will force the camera to auto-focus WHEN you press that button... but it will not TRACK focus while you shoot the way a camcorder will.

The T4i is an exception... it does TRACK focus while shooting video.

BTW, this isn't considered to be a big deal as one of the reasons to use a DSLR for video is the higher quality video, better lens selections, depth of field, blah blah blah. BUT serious videographers don't use auto-focus... they manually control it. Even still, there's enough consumer demand that Nikon has offered AF in video mode for a couple of years and Canon added it to the T4i this year (and _only_ the T4i has it.)

The 60D and T4i both have a 9 point auto-focus array where all 9 points are the high-precision cross-type points. The rest only have a single center cross-type points and all the outer points are horizontal or vertical only.

The 60D introduced several features just for video... the flip-out LCD screen is one, the ability to MANUALLY control the audio gain is another (the rest of the cameras only supported auto-gain... when people stop talking, the mic cranks up the gain and you hear that background hiss until someone starts talking again and the gain drops back to a normal level.) This would drive video people nuts... they wanted manual control. I believe (but am not certain) that the T4i body offers it as well. The T2i and T3i did not... ALTHOUGH you can get the "Magic Lantern" firmware (this is free open-source software that only runs in Canon cameras and only certain models) and offers a lot more video features than the standard Canon firmware. It's implemented in a way that it only lives on your memory card (not in your camera's main memory) and it works WITH the existing Canon firmware. You can turn it on or off at will (it's not like you have to make a decision to replace Canon's firmware with their firmware.)

The 60D is weather sealed. None of the Rebel bodies are weather-sealed. (btw, "weather sealed" does not mean "water proof" -- it means your camera isn't afraid of getting rain, spray, etc. It does NOT mean you can take the camera with you when you go swimming. Plunge it underwater and it will almost certainly leak.)

The 60D also has controls laid out like you'd find on the pro bodies (e.g. 7D, 5D, 1D, etc.) It has a top LCD with quick access to a lot of settings that would require menu navigation on a Rebel body. It also has a full back selection dial in addition to the front selection wheel. In manual mode the front wheel is shutter speed and the back-dial (located in comfortable thumb-access position) is for aperture. So when manually shooting with a 60D you have instant access to both shutter and aperture simultaneously (you don't get that on a Rebel body... you only get instant shutter speed and then have to hold the Av button down with your thumb while turning the front wheel (normally the shutter speed) in order to change aperture. Basically the 60D is more convenient and offers more direct access to control.

The 60D is probably the most "comfortable" body I've ever held. I don't know why. There's no reason that a Rebel body couldn't be built as well, but they just aren't. I've always like the 60D's body.

BTW, the T4i has a "touch screen" LCD on back in addition to all the other normal buttons. I think it's still the only Canon DSLR body with a touch-screen.

Wow thanks for the info. I really APPRICIATE it :D but there is one thing I am curious with. And that is, the difference between the 60D vs Nikon 7000. As I was trying to look into it more, I also came across the Nikon 3100 & Nikon 5000 which both also do video. Which only made it harder for me to wonder whats the difference between
Nikon:7000

Vs.
Canon 60D

If anyone knows any info on that or refer me to a website, if you rather not want to explain. I'd really APPRICIATE it. And thank you again :)

Nikon lags behind Canon in the video department. One reason is because their video compression codec is inferior which gives worse quality than Canon or Olympus' little DSLR.

One thing about Canon instead of Nikon is that you can get Magic Lantern. It's what I call "jail breaking" you camera. You keep all the features you have + features like HDR video, adjustable frame rate, rack focus (manual focus using buttons), and bit rate for compression (if you have a VERY fast SD card.

-Ken Turner

TheKenTurner said:
One thing about Canon instead of Nikon is that you can get Magic Lantern. It's what I call "jail breaking" you camera. You keep all the features you have + features like HDR video, adjustable frame rate, rack focus (manual focus using buttons), and bit rate for compression (if you have a VERY fast SD card.

-Ken Turner

What's "magic Lantern" how do I get it or to it. ?

Most reactions

Back