Which is the better Budget Entry Level DSLR?

Which is a better Budget Entry Level DSLR?

• Nikon D40X

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Which of the above is a better budget entry level DSLR for taking a range of photos in different light conditions?

Thanks Again Guys

EDIT: Under £100 Excluding Lens (Body Only)

Last edited:
Hate to bump my own thread but oh well.

Honestly, I have loved my Nikon D40 and my Canon T3. You can't really go wrong with either of those (or similar models from Canon or Nikon).

Your budget limits your choices to used cameras.

Any brand will do what you need.
I recommend the Nikon D50 (used from about $175) over the D40
The D50 has Nikon's screw-drive auto focus motor system the D40 lacks, and the D50 has much better low light performance.

Your budget limits your choices to used cameras.

Any brand will do what you need.
I recommend the Nikon D50 (used from about $175) over the D40
The D50 has Nikon's screw-drive auto focus motor system the D40 lacks, and the D50 has much better low light performance.

I completely agree with KMH. And (I haven't looked in awhile) you can get a D50 body used for ~$100 on Amazon here in the US.

I have looked at a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs Nikon D40X, and supposidly according to this:

Nikon D40X vs D50 - Our Analysis

the Nikon D40X is a much better camera, is it right?

Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated.

If budget is a big concern (and I'm guessing from your $100 limit it is) then I would definitely go with a body with a built in focus motor. (If you go nikon)
That way you can get older used AF lenses and still have them autofocus on your camera.

For $100-ish I would look at a nikon D50 or D100. Both still very capable cameras.

Keh.com usually has good prices and all they sell is used gear. They generally underrate their gear. I have gotten several lenses from them listed as "bargain" that were in excellent shape. I would check there for camera bodies. They have a great return policy on all their gear.

No. IMO their assessment is not accurate based on my 30 years experience as a professional photographer.
I say that in larger part because of the IIIa Color mode option available on the D50 that influences the colors in the final photo.

But don't take my word for it. Look at a more in-depth and unbiased review of the Nikon D50 and the D40x - Nikon D50 Review: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D40X Review: Digital Photography Review

Both the D40 and D40x use color mode IIIa as their default color mode...so...that point doesn't make much sense. The D40 is two, to three years newer, depending on how one looks at things like this. The D50 is from 2005, the D40 from 2007 or so, but the sensor development pre-dates the introduction. Regardless...the D40x has better color, and slightly better dynamic range, but it is still relatively "old", and is also kind of low-end.

My preference would be the 10MP D40x for the higher MP count, newer sensor, and the ability to use PRE-Ai lenses, which the D50 and D70 series, and indeed almost all other Nikons, can NOT accept. Some of the pre-Ai Nikkors, like say the 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor macro lens, sell in the $35 range...because they are, well...pre-Ai, and there's not many cameras that can use them unmodified EXCEPT the baby Nikon d-slr models D60, D40,D40x, and the D3xxx an D5xxx series models, and the new Df model.

Neither is a slam-dunk one way or the other. Both are "older". I think you're making a mistake going back THAT far. D80's here are $145, body only.

Most reactions

Back