Which is the most useful App for Ipad?

Feenixe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help! I bought the camera connection kit for my new Ipad. It is great, as soon as I plug in my SD card I can Import my files. The problem is that it is not the Raw files that I see! When I upload the same images on a Macbook, they are completely different. It is really confusing.

I want to find a way to view the Raw files (without having to download them on my Ipad would be ideal) and delete the pictures I don't like on site.

Anyone knows an app that does this? Or How to do this? Also, is there any app that allows to see the raw files info i.e. shutter speed, iso, aperture, etc. ?

Photogene. For sure. At 2.99, it's a great app. I just wish we would put out a ccn that would work with cf cards. Till then you can still hook up USB style. Also- do you have find my iPad set up on it? Seriously- I get more calls a day about lost/stolen stuff than actual sales calls. Lol

Thanks a lot! The reviews are talking more about editing than anything... But it does read the Raw files instead of the converted version? Anyone know an app that does this, reading/being able to delete raw file without having to import them?

I'm a big noob when it comes to Apple tech, just switched from PC to Mac... And yes, I have the Find my IPad set up ;)

Last edited:
Tagging along. Would like to see the answer also.

I really don't understand why anyone would use the camera connection kit. What are you going to do with the pictures? Edit them? Waste of time considering how lousy the iPad screen is for color.

Most useful apps I have are the photo album app that it comes with, square for ringing your customers up, and Flipbook to keep track of what your friends or inspiration is putting up on their blogs.

For me, its Photosmith. Photosmith is a Lightroom companion. With it, i can import, sort, tag, proof, and share images in the field without carrying my laptop.

Sw1tchFX said:
I really don't understand why anyone would use the camera connection kit. What are you going to do with the pictures? Edit them?

I do Not want to edit pics, I want to find a way to View the pics that I have on an Sd card in the field, without having to import them ideally. But I've searched all day long and it seems that there is no way to view the RAW format... All the apps are made to edit pictures, which is not what I want. :(

Seems that it was a $20 badly spent. Unless someone can give me hope?

Sw1tchFX said:
I really don't understand why anyone would use the camera connection kit. What are you going to do with the pictures? Edit them?

I do Not want to edit pics, I want to find a way to View the pics that I have on an Sd card in the field, without having to import them ideally. But I've searched all day long and it seems that there is no way to view the RAW format... All the apps are made to edit pictures, which is not what I want. :(

Feenixe, that is exactly what I use Photosmith for. I shoot raw, use the cam connection kit to import, and then view/tag/rate in the field. If you have Lightroom, you can synch from Photosmith to Lightroom when you get home and keep all of your tags and ratings. To be clear, though, you don't need Lightroom to use Photosmith.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Photosmith. I'm just a happy customer.

I haven't bought an ipad because noone has shown me a decent way to tether or send a review image in real time (and keep raw i=on the cam's card). I really want my pics to display on an ipad in the field in almost real time such as they do on the TV in the studio with direct cable.

I would be thrilled if my cam would send a preview pic to the ipad and keep the host file on the CF card.

****Today i just drag a crappy windows laptop in the field and tether to Lightroom and shoot models

Photosmith has full RAW viewing capability on the iPad, however I believe that you still have to transfer the images from the camera to the iPad to view them. I don't think it's worth the hasstle to review in the field on the iPad. If yore really concerned about reviewing on-site I'd just tether to your Macbook via the software that came with your camera or with something like Lightroom.

Another option would be to go wireless. Shot with an eye-fi card in direct mode. Shoot raw+jpeg to the eye-fi card and review the jpegs on the iPad. Then just delete the files (raw+jpegs) you don't want to keep via the camera.

I haven't bought an ipad because noone has shown me a decent way to tether or send a review image in real time (and keep raw i=on the cam's card). I really want my pics to display on an ipad in the field in almost real time such as they do on the TV in the studio with direct cable.

I would be thrilled if my cam would send a preview pic to the ipad and keep the host file on the CF card.

****Today i just drag a crappy windows laptop in the field and tether to Lightroom and shoot models

You can definitely tether to an iPad, though I have to admit: I haven't tried it yet. Your options for doing so depend a lot on what camera you've got. I'm shooting a D7000, so one of my options is to put an EyeFi card in slot 2. I can then set my capture mode to RAW+jpeg and let the EyeFi send the jpegs to the iPad. Another option is a tethering cable.

I haven't felt the "need," yet, so I'm not tethering, but I'm very curious.

Sw1tchFX said:

View pictures you have on your SD card in the field. So you take it out, transfer them onto your iPad, just to look at them? What's wrong with the LCD if you're just going to do that? And if you're shooting for work, tethering into LR is a much better (and more impressive to the client) option...

I still do not understand why you would go through all that trouble just to look at pictures you just shot.

Sw1tchFX said:
I still do not understand why you would go through all that trouble just to look at pictures you just shot.

Cuz I am going to one of the poorest countries in the world, I won't have Internet or a laptop. I have to find a way to be fast and slick, and save as much space as I can on my SD cards. Importing all the footage is way too long, and the Ipad cannot handle a lot. So I thought that there was an app who could help me. That's it!

Yeah it sucks. But maybe with he Ipad3???

Or you can just use an android operating system.
tethered shooting from a smart phone ! - Open Photography Forums

Either way I would just wait. Asus has the transformer prime with the first quad core processor in a tablet, I believe.
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/

M
y mother and father in law bought one and good lord does it blows our ipad away.

By next winter I'm sure there will be a slew of quad core processors in tablets and phones. Can't wait to see what will be available by christmass 2013.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back