Which laptop?

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the market for a new laptop. Photo processing will be about the most demanding application it’s used for. (It will be the household computer for general use and travel but no gaming or anything along those lines). Most of my editing will be done at home connected to a monitor but it would be nice to do some quick edits on the road; so size is not critical but decent resolution is important. (I’ve been using an old work laptop which is worthless trying to edit anything on its screen)

I’m not a mac guy, so outside of MacBooks, what are you guys and gals using (and happy with). I’d like to keep it in the $1,000 price range, lower is even better, a little higher doable if it’s worth it.

I'm fond of HP Pro Books. I use one that has an 6 way Core I7 CPU with 8 gig ram and 15" screen. I use PS and Light Room on it no issues. $1500 should get you a really nice one. If you can find one, with the sudden rush/need to work/school from home laptops have become scarce.

I'd wait a little if at all possible, Ryzen 5000 has just been launched and the release date is November 5th, Nvidia just about to release the 3000 series video cards too which should see prices of current tech fall if they are nearly as good as the marketing hype.

MLW (My Lovely Wife) got me a 15" Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 (the screen folds 180 degrees to resemble a tablet) two years ago. I7 @ 1.80GHz, 16GB RAM, 460GB SSHD, added a 1TB HDD for data; touch screen and pen enabled.

The price was a bit over your budget but I could have trimmed it down to come in at that amount.

Lots of ram (32g) to handle image processing and i7 8 core
Not much fun when you have spent loads of time working an image and then pc says
Can’t do...... not enough ram
or you have to wait ages for a page/image to redraw

Most reactions

Back